Beets are not something I would normally purchase, so working with them was a new experience (but a good one!).
After a quick search online, I found that beets are highly nutritious (especially when eaten raw) and contain antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification properties. They’ve even been thought to have anti-cancer benefits.
All the more reason to eat your beets, kids!!
Now, I’ve tried to eat beets before, plain or roasted, and just couldn’t do it. They were too… earthy for me.
BUT, this Raw Beet, Carrot & Apple Salad with Ginger Lime Dressing is by far, one of my favorite salads. Even with the beets!!
It is very refreshing, and the ginger and lime balance out the sweetness of the carrots and apple perfectly. Everyone who has tried it (even those who, like me, openly don’t like beets) have liked this salad and asked for the recipe!
I like to make a big batch of this, and we’ll eat from it for several days. We eat it just like we would with any side dish, along with chicken, or ham.
- 3 – 4 tablespoons lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 1 3/4 cup peeled & grated beet roots
- 1 3/4 cup peeled & grated carrots
- 1 3/4 cup peeled & grated apple (such as a Fuji or Pink Lady)
- In a large bowl, combine the grated beets, carrots, and apple.
- Toss in the lime juice and grated ginger, and refrigerate until ready to serve.