Zucchini & Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook278Share on Google+6Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon1Pin on Pinterest1,090Tweet about this on Twitter4

I fell in love with my husband over a skillet of breakfast hash. Okay, honestly I was already in love with the man, but some of my favorite memories of us in our early years include sharing a breakfast skillet at a local diner. The diner was known for their huge breakfast skillets, and would serve them all throughout the day. Every weekend we would order one and share it. It was just the two of us back then, and in those moments we discussed our futures, our jobs, our crazy families, how many kids we wanted to have, etc… But then there were also times where a comfortable silence would fall between us and we would just be. Content to know we were there with each other, and it was all that mattered in that place and time. Maybe that’s why breakfast foods are so comforting to me now. It doesn’t matter the time of day, give me bacon, waffles, eggs, hash browns, etc., with a cup of coffee and my family, and I’ll be a happy camper.

Since overhauling my diet, I’ve had to find alternative ingredients to traditional hash browns made from white potatoes, and these yummy Zucchini & Sweet Potato Hash Browns definitely satisfy my craving. But don’t let them fool you, they aren’t just for breakfast; they will make an excellent side dish at any meal.

Zucchini & Sweet Potato Hash Browns

Yield: 3-4 servings

Zucchini & Sweet Potato Hash Browns

• 2 small zucchini, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 cup onion, minced
  • 1 tablespoon of ghee, or coconut oil, or olive oil (I use half ghee & half coconut oil)
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste

1. In a large mesh colander (like this one), mix the grated zucchini with the sea salt. Place a dish underneath the colander and set aside for 10 minutes. The salt will draw the liquid from the zucchini.
  2. Place the grated sweet potato and minced onion in a medium sized mixing bowl.
  3. Squeeze the excess liquid from the zucchini so it's very dry (I use my hands to do this – just grab a handful of it and squeeze the excess liquid right into the sink to discard the liquid and then blot with paper towels) and place it in the mixing bowl with the sweet potato and onion; mix well. Taste and add more salt and fresh ground black pepper if desired.
  4. Preheat a 12 inch skillet (this one is my favorite) over medium heat and add the oil. Once the pan is hot, add the hash browns. Use the back of a spatula to press the hash browns down into the pan. Allow the hash browns to cook for 3-6 minutes undisturbed. When the hash browns are slightly golden, flip them over in sections. Use the back of your spatula, again, to press them down into the pan. Cook another 3-6 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

These will never get really crispy like white potato hash browns, but are more of a soft consistency.

This recipe is linked to Pennywise Platter, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday and Allergy Free Wednesdays.

Comments

Megan, I just love this recipe and I haven’t even made it yet! LOL I love the ingredients and I think you already know I am a huge hash lover!

I enjoyed what you had to say about you and your husband sitting quietly together, too. That is so true of comfortable relationships, whether it’s one with a significant other or a good friend. :-)

Oh Shirley… I love hash too. Could there be anything better?! ;) Thank you so much – and thank you for sharing on Facebook!
      Big hugs!

Yum! I will make this! We like all of the ingredients listed.

I discovered through the CSA recipes with my share that peeled grated kohlrabi is lovely made into hashbrowns. It could be either added or subbed for the zucchini, or served on its own.

Hi Joanne,
      Kohlrabi?! I’ll have to try that sometime – thank you for the suggestion! ;)

I had to laugh over your coffee comment. My youngest would drink it with me (if I did share), but not so much my oldest. Silly kids!
      ;) Megan

P.S. We as a family are content to eat breakfast any time of day as well. Very good comfort food! My 2 and 3 year old would even do the coffee too if I would share more than a sip of my coffee with them. :)

Oh Megan…this is MY kinda breakfast girl. Looks just amazing. I can’t wait to try!!!! I think I might just make this for dinner one night too. You know me…I will eat anything anytime of the day. Great recipe my friend.

–amber

Thank you, Amber!! I LOVE this recipe and make it for dinner all of the time (with eggs with runny yolks). ;)
      Hugs!!

Hi Anna,
      I really like using just salt and pepper, but garlic, cayenne, or fresh chives would probably taste amazing, too.

I found this at 4am because I couldn’t sleep and did a quick search for Paleo Hash. I am new to Paleo but also have auto-immune issues so I no longer eat coconut (its in nearly every paleo recipe) due to my blood type. I will be making this in about 1 hour. I am also going to try it with the kohlrabi the next time.
    I made something similar and named it vegetable pancake but I have not yet converted it to paleo. Maybe that will be my job today.

1. […] 4. Zucchini & Sweet Potato Hash Zucchini is a great vegetable to add to sweet potatoes because it gives an additional texture, while not taking anything away from the sweet potatoes in terms of taste. While zucchini brings its own flavor to the mix, it doesn’t overpower the sweet potato, and the two coexist nicely. And while we’ve seen zucchini used as pasta, it serves equally well here, helping sweet potatoes take the place of regular potatoes in a hash brown recreation. You’ll also be getting some onions in this, and they’re using ghee to fry it up in, which is going to add a nice buttery flavor to the whole thing. […]

2. […] 4. Zucchini & Sweet Potato Hash Zucchini is a great vegetable to add to sweet potatoes because it gives an additional texture, while not taking anything away from the sweet potatoes in terms of taste. While zucchini brings its own flavor to the mix, it doesn’t overpower the sweet potato, and the two coexist nicely. And while we’ve seen zucchini used as pasta, it serves equally well here, helping sweet potatoes take the place of regular potatoes in a hash brown recreation. You’ll also be getting some onions in this, and they’re using ghee to fry it up in, which is going to add a nice buttery flavor to the whole thing. […]