This Mexican Soup is rich and flavorful, comes together quickly, and takes advantage of the convenience of canned black beans. Studded with bits of sausage and veggies, it’s a wonderful and comforting meal everyone will love.
I’ll tell you what, if you want to take your soup to the next level, add some sausage, Mexican inspired spices, a bit of fresh lime juice, black beans, cilantro… and BOOM! You’re going to love how flavorful and unique this Mexican Soup recipe is!
Instead of cooking dried beans from scratch, I use canned black beans for the sake of convenience. It seems like the older my girls get, the busier I am, and the more activities they have. Any “short-cuts” I can make in the kitchen, and still get a healthy meal on the table, is a definitely win in my book.
Beans are wonderful because they are such a nutrient-dense food. AND CHEAP. We make these Instant Pot Refried Beans regularly, and use them in everything from nachos to burritos, to quesadillas, etc. They freeze well, and my kids love them.
When making this Mexican Soup:
- I use Jimmie Dean’s Premium All Natural Regular Pork Sausage (in the tube), which adds such an enhanced flavor profile to the broth. I have not used another brand of sausage in this recipe, but if you need to substitute with turkey sausage or beef sausage, I imagine that would be tasty too.
- If you like spice, add some HEAT with some dried red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or other chiles. I personally love spicy soup, but my kids can’t take it. Instead of making the entire pot of soup spicy, I add spice to just my bowl.
- Wait until the soup is finished cooking to season with salt. The sausage is fairly salty, and depending on the kind of chicken broth you use, that can possibly be salty, too. You don’t want to add any salt until the soup has been cooked down and the flavors have a chance to develop. You can always add more salt, but you can’t take it away!
What to serve with Mexican Bean Soup:
- We like to eat our soup topped with tortilla chips and avocado slices. If you tolerate dairy, Mexican cheese and sour cream would also be delicious additions.
- A hearty slice of gluten-free bread (my Gluten-Free Oatmeal Millet Bread is one of our faves!), biscuits, or garlic naan would all be tasty sides. Homemade gluten-free breads are my kryptonite, so I’m always partial to those, especially when a comforting bowl of soup is being served! You can find all these listed recipes in my new e-book, Gluten-Free Baking From Scratch.
- When we don’t have tortilla chips on hand, my girls like a scoop of rice in their soup. This Mexican Bean Soup is very hearty on its own, but hungry active kids always seem to need some carbs!
Did you hear about my new e-book, Gluten-Free Baking From Scratch? Get your copy now!
- 3 - 14 oz. cans black beans
- 4 - 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound pork sausage (such as Jimmie Dean)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 - 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- Blend 2 cans of black beans, including the liquid from the cans, in a blender, blending to either a smooth consistency, or a rough chop – whatever your personal preference. Set aside.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, brown the pork sausage over medium-high heat.
- Add in the carrots, celery, sweet onion, and green pepper; cook until the vegetables start to turn soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, ground cumin, and oregano, cook for another two minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, pureed black beans, and the 3rd can of black beans, including the liquid from the can.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, and then turn down to medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and the fresh squeezed lime juice during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Garnish with tortilla chips, avocado, and lime wedges.
AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven - 6-Quart, White
Imagine, Free Range Chicken Broth, Organic, 32 oz
Bush's Best Black Beans, 39 oz (6 cans)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.