This satisfying vegan tomato soup is creamy and delicious. Made with canned tomatoes and other items normally stocked in one’s pantry, this recipe is easy to prepare and thoroughly comforting.
One cold afternoon, several years ago, I was tired. It had been a long day, and I didn’t take the time to pull anything out from the freezer to thaw for dinner the night before. Soup sounded like a wonderful idea, so I started going through my pantry.
Vegan Tomato Soup
I almost always have canned tomatoes and chicken stock on hand, so one of my girls suggested I make tomato soup to have along with our sandwiches made from my Artisan Gluten-Free Bread. Sounded like a perfect idea to me!
How to make vegan tomato soup:
- Use a heavy bottomed-pan, or a Dutch oven to make your soup in. I have 2 different brands of enameled cast iron Dutch ovens: an Amazon Basics 6 quart, and a Tramontina 5.5 quart. For the price, I think both are worth it.
- Melt the vegan butter and cook the onions and garlic until soft, add the basil and stir until fragrant.
- Add the canned crushed tomatoes with basil, and vegetable broth. Sweeten to taste using coconut sugar; this will help balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth (be careful, it will be hot!).
- Stir in canned coconut milk, and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Best tomato soup recipe substitutions:
Vegan Butter– Alternately, you can use ghee, butter, or coconut oil.
Garlic– Simply omit the garlic if you don’t tolerate it.
Vegetable Broth– Substitute with chicken broth (if not vegan).
Coconut Sugar– You can also use organic cane sugar, brown sugar, or palm sugar.
Canned Coconut Milk– If you are dairy-free, cashew cream may work or an unflavored dairy-free coffee creamer (although I haven’t tried either in this recipe). If you are not dairy-free, try half and half, heavy cream, or whole milk.
Immersion Blender vs. Countertop Blender
Immersion blenders are handheld stick blenders used to blend food in the container they were prepared in. They are easy to use, easy to clean, and bypass getting another container (like the jar of a countertop blender) dirty. I use mine mostly for gluten-free soup (like my Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup), or for pureeing my girl’s favorite Instant Pot Refried Beans.
I own this Cuisinart immersion blender.
A countertop blender will absolutely work for blending this dairy free tomato soup, just be careful transferring the hot liquid to the blender jar. Only fill the jar up half way, and always place the lid on the blender jar before blending. Otherwise the hot liquid may spray out and possibly burn.
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (or olive oil, or coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes with basil
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth for non-vegan)
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dried basil and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the crusted tomatoes with basil, vegetable broth, and coconut sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Removed from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in canned coconut milk, and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Vegan Butter- Alternately, you can use ghee, butter, or coconut oil.
Garlic- Simply omit the garlic if you don’t tolerate it.
Vegetable Broth- Substitute with chicken broth (if not vegan).
Coconut Sugar- You can also use organic cane sugar, brown sugar, or palm sugar.
Canned Coconut Milk- If you are dairy-free, cashew cream may work or an unflavored dairy-free coffee creamer (although I haven’t tried either in this recipe). If you are not dairy-free, try half and half, heavy cream, or whole milk.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Aroy-d Coconut Milk 100% Original Net 8.5 Oz.(pack of 12)
Nutiva USDA Certified Organic, non-GMO, Unrefined Granulated Coconut Sugar, 1-pound (Pack of 3)
Swanson Organic Broth, Vegetable, 32 oz. Resealable Carton (Pack of 12)
Muir Glen Canned Tomatoes, Organic Crushed Tomatoes with Basil, No Sugar Added, 28 Ounce Can (Pack of 12)
Cuisinart CSB-75FR Smart Stick Hand Blender (Renewed), White
AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, White
This post may contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me maintain this website. Thank you for your support in this way!