Pumpkin Spice Scones with Cardamom Icing (gluten/dairy/soy free)

Happy Spring! Well, it might be spring in other parts of the country, but here in Alaska, it’s still chilly. It’s 31 degrees (F) at my house and it has been snowing all day. There are buds on the trees though, and my basil and cilantro plants sprouted that the girls and I planted a few weeks ago (they are in pots in the house). Signs of life and things to come… I can’t wait until summer.

DSC_0195 (Medium)

I have a confession to make. I’ve been holding out on you guys. This recipe I’m sharing with you today is from my archived collection of recipes… and it’s a family favorite.

Last year I actually made a double batch of these Pumpkin Spice Scones to share at our church’s Easter Sunday brunch. Everyone liked them – gluten eaters and non-gluten eaters alike. They are the perfect sweet little treat to have with a cup of coffee or tea.

DSC_0150 (Medium)

So about this archived recipe collection of mine… I won’t give away all of my secrets, but I will tell you this: I’ve got a great collection of recipes and I look forward to sharing them all with you one day!

DSC_0154 (Medium)

1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup palm shortening
1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
3-4 tablespoons almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, almond milk, vanilla, and egg.  Pour the wet mixture into the dry and mix until just combined.
  4. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the dough into balls (about the size of a golf ball) and place onto a parchment paper or silicone lined baking sheet. Wet your fingers and carefully pat down the tops of the dough balls until the dough is 3/4 to 1-inch thick.
  5. Bake for 11 – 13 minutes.  The scones will not be visibly brown when finished baking; however, the bottom of the scones should be light golden brown when done. Do not over bake.
  6. Allow to cool completely on cooling racks before icing.

DSC_0507 (Medium)

Cardamom Icing:

Yields enough icing for 12 scones

3/4 cup organic powdered sugar
3-5 teaspoons almond milk
Pinch of cardamom (A very small pinch… a little goes a long way, and you can always add more if desired)
Pinch of cinnamon

1. Whisk together ingredients until smooth and add milk until icing reaches desired consistency.
  2. Drizzle on cooled scones, or dunk the scones upside down into the bowl of icing. Let the excess icing drip into the bowl before setting the scone aside for the icing to dry.

This recipe is linked to Make Your Own Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, EOA Link Up, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Tasty Traditions, and Allergy Free Wednesday.

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook285Share on Google+7Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest770Tweet about this on Twitter8

Comments

1. Jenn says

Megan this looks excellent! I am curious though, having never used palm shortening, are there any substitutes for it? Would coconut oil be suitable?

Hi Jenn,
      Palm shortening is the consistency of Crisco (yet much healthier). It’s thicker than coconut oil and holds the shape/consistency of baked goods (specifically those of the scone and biscuit variety) better than coconut oil does. That said, coconut oil might work, but the scones might be flatter than what you see in my pictures. If you do try making the scones using room temp coconut oil, would you please come back and let us know how they turned out?

2. Kirsten C. says

These sound fantastic! Do you know if I can substitute the sorghum flour for another GF variety? Have all the other ingredients on hand so am trying to avoid a trip to the grocery store :)

Hi Kirsten,
      You could probably use 1 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup millet, and 1/2 cup tapioca starch. :) Hugs,

3. Erin says

Thoughts on substituting regular baking powder with Ener G baking powder (corn-free), ground flax mixed with water for the egg, and coconut milk for almond milk? Also, what would you suggest to substitute the xanthan gum with? Unfortunately, I need to avoid dairy, egg, wheat, soy, corn, gluten…due to allergies.

Hi Erin,
      The Ener G baking powder will be fine, so will the coconut milk. If you can’t use xanthan gum, try guar gum. I think the flax egg should be okay, but I haven’t tried it myself, so I can’t tell you for sure. Good luck!

4. Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts says

Oh, Megan, these look fabulous! I love that last photo! You know I’m a pumpkin lover and I hate it when pumpkin recipes only appear in the fall (usually only October), so I am thrilled to see these delectable scones of yours! :-) I’m thinking these will need to be shared on All Gluten-Free Desserts … All the Time soon!

Happy weekend! xo,

5. Suzanne Perazzini says

These look pretty and healthy. I have tried all thse flours but millet and like to work with a combination of them as well to get the best texture.

6. Kate @ Eat, Recycle, Repeat says

These look great! I love cardamom as a secret baking weapon – my Swedish great-grandmother left me with that little gem.

7. Jacqueline @ Deeprootsathome.com says

I really NEED to get up and running with gluten-free baking! you’ve got me thinking, anyway!
    Also, as we follow along with Jesus’last week before going to His Father, I am so thankful we don’t get what we deserve! It is all for His namesake and ultimate glory! Oh, what a wonderful Savior we have! May you have a blessed Resurrection celebration with your loved ones!
    Jacqueline

8. Danielle @ Poor and Gluten Free says

These look wonderful! Happy Easter and thanks so much for sharing this on WNWNW, I’ve pinned it :)

9. amber says

Hi Meg,

Oh goody!! I have all these ingredients. I can’t wait to make these. I’m just starting the journey of teaching myself how to really bake gluten free and these will be a great recipe to practice. You’re so clever, Meg!!!