These Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Sandwich Cookies are the perfect fall treat! Vanilla sugar cookies are combined with a luscious dairy-free pumpkin spice filling. It creates a dynamic tasting sandwich cookie everyone will love!
Fall is most definitely my favorite time of year, and it’s probably not a surprise that I bake the most during this season. My kids definitely love it when I make my Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole for breakfast, while my husband sneaks my Gluten Free Dairy Free Sugar Cookies from the freezer.
But our families newest obsession? These Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Sandwich Cookies.
You guys, this dairy-free Pumpkin Spice filling is sooooo incredible. The flavor profiles of the pumpkin and spices shine through, so that’s absolutely what you taste. It’s rich and creamy, and downright luxurious.
I promise you, you’ll be tempted just to eat it straight outta the bowl.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Sandwich Cookie recipe notes:
- Some of you might recognize the cookie portion of this recipe. I used my Gluten Free Dairy Free Sugar Cookies recipe, I just swapped vanilla bean paste for the vanilla extract. You can use either one in this recipe though – whatever you have on hand is just fine.
- To make cut-outs of the dough, I used a circular 1.5″ cookie cutter with fluted edges, but you can easily use a square, a heart, or even another shape (these leaf cookie cutters would be fun!). I definitely recommend you keep the cutter small. No bigger than 1.5″.
- When I first tested this recipe with bigger cookies, the filling would shoot right out of the sandwich cookies when bitten (definitely not ideal).
- Keeping the cookies small (about 1.5″ in diameter), and then refrigerating the cookies until served, mostly keeps the filling where it belongs. The filling firms up a in the refrigerator, yet still remains creamy.
- Once I make the cookie dough, I immediately roll it out and cut it into my desired shapes. I transfer the cookie cutouts onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet, then pop the baking sheet into the freezer.This “chill time” keeps the dough from spreading too much while baking.
- I don’t refrigerate the dough prior to rolling it out, because I found it’s easier to work with when it’s at room temperature.
These scrumptious sandwich cookies will be perfect for your next work potluck, holiday get together, or for your family, just because!
These cookies freeze well, too. So if you want to make a batch, but aren’t keen on eating them all at one time, simply store them in an airtight container and freeze them. When ready to consume, let thaw for 15 minutes before enjoying.
Also, if you’re like me and you bake a lot, particularly for large crowds, check out these large Aluminum Commercial Sheet Pans (mine are the 15 x 21″, because the largest size wouldn’t fit inside of my oven). I also have these Commercial Grade Silicone Baking Mats that fit inside the large pans. I use both of these items all the time.
Other gluten-free pumpkin recipes to check out:
Gluten Free Pumpkin Scones with Cardamom Icing
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread from Gluten free Palate
Gluten Free Dairy Free Maple Pumpkin Pie
Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Muffins from My Gluten Free Kitchen
Dairy Free Vegan Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
For the cookies:
For the pumpkin spice filling:
To make the cookies:
For the pumpkin spice filling:
To make the sandwich cookies: