Gluten Free Hamburger Buns

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook0Share on Google+7Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest1,991Tweet about this on Twitter11

It really bothers me when we have hamburgers and my girls have to go without a bun.  I go without a bun too, but that doesn’t bother me.  Okay, maybe it bothers me a little teenie bit, but it hurts my heart knowing my girls are missing out on something.

I’ve made hamburger buns three different times this week, trying to get this recipe just right.  These buns are best when used the day you make them, but they are still good the following day too.  The day after baking they are still soft, not rock hard like some gluten free bread recipes.

They also make great sandwich rolls.

Hamburger Buns (Small)

Before you make the hamburger bun dough, make the molds for them to bake in.  First, pick a bowl:

I randomly looked at 3 different bowls in my cupboard.  I choose the smallest bowl on the right because it was the perfect shape – about 4 1/2 inches in diameter and the sides were more square-like vs. the other bowls being very rounded on the bottom.

Flip the bowl upside down on your counter and tear off a piece of foil.  For whatever reason, my molds turned out best when I doubled up the foil only half way.  Like this:

Now place the foil on top of your upside down bowl on the counter and do the wrap around!

You’ll need to make 8 of these molds.  They don’t have to be perfect, but do make sure the sides of the molds are at least 2 inches in height.

Place your molds on a baking tray (or trays, I had to use 2) and coat with non-stick spray.

Now make your dough.

This recipe is linked to Allergy Free Wednesday.

Gluten Free Hamburger Buns Recipe
Makes 8 – 4 1/2 inch hamburger buns

Yeast Mixture:
1 cup warm water (between 110 – 115 degrees F)
3 TBSP honey
2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast (NOT instant yeast!)

Dry Ingredients:

3 eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar

Sesame seeds for sprinkling

Directions:
To proof the yeast, combine the honey and warm water in a small mixing bowl and stir until the honey is mostly dissolved.  Sprinkle in the yeast and give it a quick stir.  Allow to the yeast to proof for 7 minutes (set a timer!) – NO more, NO less time.  Make sure you have the other wet and dry ingredients mixed and ready to go when the 7 minutes are up!

Using a heavy duty mixer, combine the dry ingredients.

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, water, and vinegar.

When the yeast is done proofing, add the wet ingredients to the dry.  Stir until it’s a little paste-like, then add the yeast mixture.  Using your mixers low speed setting, mix for about 30 seconds.  Scrape the sides of the bowl then mix on medium for about 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth.  (You may need to stop your mixer and scrape the sides of your bowl a few more times.)

Divide the dough into 8 well greased foil molds, placing 1/2 cup of dough in each mold.  There shouldn’t be too much dough left over, but if there is, simply divide it up into the molds.  Using a spatula, smooth out the dough in each mold.  Sprinkle each hamburger bun with sesame seeds.

Allow to the buns to rise for about an hour (This is how much time mine needed in Alaska. If you live in a warmer climate, they may require less rising time.)  Bake in a pre heated 375 degrees (F) oven for about 18 – 20 minutes, until the tops are a light golden brown.  Do not over bake!

Immediately remove buns from the molds and allow to cool on wire racks.  I was able to save my molds to be used again.

There was a lot of love that went into this recipe.  I hope a little of my love finds its way into your kitchen.

xoxo,

ps – I hope you like my buns!

Comments

You are a rockstar Megan! We made these last night and they were awesome. I have a tried and true gf hamburger bun recipe but this one may replace it! They were soft and flexible with a hint of sweetness. Yum. Thank you for making our burgers even tastier.

These look absolutely fantastic! I never would have thought to have made molds, but it looks like it works! I've definitely bookmarked these to try next time I want burgers!

Thanks for showing how to make hamburger buns. Although I have a recipe, the idea of making them always seemed daunting since everyone says you need a bun pan. Glad to see they turn out with a bowl, so maybe I'll get brave and make some. Thanks for the tips!

4. rebecca says

This is the the 3rd gluten-free bread recipe I've tried and it's the best.. Thankfully, I had all the flours on hand. Your instructions were very clear. Thanks for experimenting.

• wanda vegel says

I just read your recipe and can not wait to try them! thank you sooo much for ALL YOUR HARD WORK in perfecting them, I for one, AND i KNOW MANY DO, really appreciate the time AND LOVE SPENT.

5. Cherie says

You are so amazing. I swear we are so much alike. The way any mother should be…to think of their children. It breaks my heart to see Abigail go with out. That is why I do everything in my power to make sure she has a "normal" life with "normal" food. I love your recipes, love your blog and am so happy to have met you!!! I can not wait for your cookbook. I will proudly display it in my kitchen! And maybe, promoting it will get you down my way! Oooohhh….that would be amazing!! Talk to you later my friend!! xoxo

6. Megan says

Cherie… my dear new friend!! I'm so glad to have met you too – and to have someone understand what I'm going through. ;) OH I would SO LOVE to come see you sometime! Can you imagine all the trouble we'd get into? LOL! Our husbands would forbid us from seeing each other again. HA! Thank you so much for your support… it means so much!!xoxo M

It looks so delicious, Even i showed this blog to my mum and she promised me that she will prepare hamburger for me from this hamburger recipe. And i love to have it.

8. Cherie says

Someday, we will be getting together…and heaven help our dear husbands!!! :) I am going to make some more bread, and try to make these buns in the morning! I hope they turn out. Also, I am going to make the brownies. (We have company coming from Canada, my cousin and her family and my Mum, and they have never had gf before…except my Mum!) My house is turning into Megan's Recipe Kitchen central!! But hey, when you find something good….you stick with it!! I am itching to get my hands on that cookbook!! I think it may be the only gf one I will ever need. I hope you are doing well up there, cause we are roasting down here! Sending you love!! ~Cherie

9. Janet says

I just discovered your site. Well done! Would this and some of your other baked goods work if the eggs were substituted. Potato starch is not an option either.

• says

Thank you, Janet! I don’t think this hamburger recipe would do well with an egg substitute because of the amount of eggs used (3). Other recipes might do okay if there is only 1 or 2 eggs to replace, but I haven’t tried to replace them myself, so I can’t tell you for sure.

Good luck!

10. Sherri says

Could I substitute quinoa flour for the sorghum? Would potato starch replace the arrowroot starch? I can’t wait to make buns for my boys!

• says

Hi Sherri!
      Yes, potato starch would be a great substitute for the arrowroot starch. I don’t recommend using quinoa flour to replace the sorghum (I’m not a fan of using quinoa flour since it has such a powerful taste). You could easily use more millet flour or brown rice flour though!
      :) Megan

• Sherri says

Thanks! I am looking forward to making these! I have your Stevia Sweetened Chocolate Chip Cookies in the oven now. Can’t wait to taste them!

11. debra says

It’s Superbowl Sunday and my husband insisted on a good grass fed angus burger for our dinner. I went gluten free back in May after finding out I had several food allergies, the worst being to wheat and gluten, and have not had a good burger since -(sorry but store bought gluten free buns/ bred SUCK !!!).

I was able to find everything for this recipe except the millet flour, and had no clue what I should try and replace it with, i’ve never even hweard of it let alone know what it’s texture or taste or density is. I didn’t want to use anything with over powering flavors, so I used equal parts of potato flour (not potato starch) and corn flower and coconut flour to replace the millet flour. The buns came out of the oven about 10 minutes ago and are cooling off before he toasts them on the grill (grill mark fiend) , but I did manage to grab one and put a little butter on it to taste test since I didn’t want to serve anything to our guests that as sub par…. we I have to say – it was heavenly…. I do plan on making this recipe again – but with the millet flour next time so I can see how you intended it to taste – but thank you for the recipe – because I had no clue where to start – I reviewed atleast 30 recipes online for burger buns and all were different calling for almond flour and a bunch of other flours I have not used …. I am just one of those poeple who hate to try something new unless I know it’s going to taste great – not just good…I am a food snob I guess, but when I reviewed your recipe, it had flours I am used to (minus the millet) and flavors I am used to, as well the foil mold idea was absolutely the bomb helpful….. you made the reciope easy and very clear – I love your website and will be coming back frequently !!!! Thank you again.

• DEBRA says

I added onion flakes to the tops of the buns while baking and OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG yummyyyy…. it also makes a really good garlic roll or italian loaf if you want something for italian food. YUMMYYYYY

12. Melanie says

I made these tonight and they look and smell delicious! (Haven’t gotten to the eating part…) My kids are sooo excited! Thank you so much for the foil form idea! I really didn’t want to by a bun pan.

13. Christine says

Hi. I know you’re trying to go corn free, too. So, I just wanted to let you know that xantham gum is almost always grown on corn. Those with corn allergies cannot tolerate xantham gum. Also, the only corn free yeast is the Red Star brand (only in the 3 packets sold together, not in jars). Other yeast is usually grown on corn now. Finally, most honey is not corn free either, although there are a few brands that are. I’m only pointing this out because a person newly diagnosed with corn allergy may not be aware of these issues.

• Doug Babst says

Bob’s Red Mill GF Xanthan Gum is wheat starch based, not corn. We just verified that with BRM after a customer asked us to verify it was non-GMO (it is non-GMO too).

14. Joey says

Kitchen stores have the molds if you don’t want to make them. I think they are designed as English muffin molds and look like a large round cookie cutter. Inexpensive too. Want to try your recipe soon. Thanks.

15. Amber says

Hi Meg,

WOW! Your recipe was a hit last week on AFW. Reader favorite this week – and for good reason. What an awesome recipe. :-)

Hi Jamie,
      I don’t remember anyone making these using an egg substitute, but I do know others have made another bread recipe of mine with egg replacer and it turned out well. The other recipe is very similar to this one, so I would think it would work out okay. Please let us know if you try it and if it works out!
      :) Megan

16. Laurel says

Hi, this looks fabulous. One question about the yeast. I know it says not to use instant, but I’m wondering why. Thanks!

Hi Laurel,
      Thank you! I’ve tried using instant yeast numerous times, and all of my repeated attempts have failed. It just doesn’t give gluten free bread the lift that it needs like the dry active yeast does. Thank you for asking – it was an excellent question!
      :) Megan

17. Brooke says

Any subs for the Millet flour? I am highly sensitive to that but not the others. Can i just use 1 cup of the sorghum?

18. Johanne C says

I am SO grateful to finally eat a burger with an AWESOME tasting bun! We made these tonite and they turned out great! Hubby even said it tasted normal ;) I’ve posted a pic on my facebook and I have already had requested for the recipe, so have linked yours. Thank you so much!

19. Roberta Stanley says

Thanks for your quick reply! I need more help. What is the minimum amount of honey that I can use? I can’t use citrus or any vinegar. Any other suggestions?

Hi Roberta,
      The honey is used to 1) activate the yeast, so it has some sort of “sugar” to feed off of, and 2) to add a slightly sweet taste to the buns. You could use just a small amount of the honey to activate the yeast (maybe like 1-2 teaspoons?) and eliminate the remaining.

If you are unable to use vinegar or citrus, just eliminate it altogether. I think it will be okay without it.
      :) Megan

20. Carolyn Roesbery says

I appreciate this so much — I have a dear friend who is wheat affected and we cook for an art picnic every Tuesdays. I am happy to have this recipe that Darla can enjoy!

21. Melissa says

Has anyone tried freezing these after baking? I’d like to be able to use the leftover buns at a later date.

22. Melissa says

I made these today (subbing amaranth flour instead of sorghum-which I can’t tolerate). They didn’t really seem to rise very much but I was still able to slice them like buns. They seemed kind of like a cross between a bun and a biscuit. They were good! And the house smelled wonderful! I don’t usually make yeast breads (it’s a love/hate relationship yeast and I have…lol). But alas…. as much as I hoped that Tb of xantham gum wouldn’t bother me…..it did. Bloating ensued. :( Boo!
    Any chance there’s a substitute for that. Something that isn’t a gum? (no guar gum either.) Or maybe a completely different recipe that anyone can recommend?
    I was so excited to be able to eat my shredded BBQ chicken on a bun instead of out of a bowl! :)

Hi Melissa!
      You are in luck… within the next 24 hours I’ll be posting an xanthan/guar gum free bread recipe on my website – so stay tuned!
      :) Megan

23. Nita says

Hi Megan! These are the best buns I have ever made.in the last 6 years my husband has had Celiac .I have tried lots of gluten free breads and this is the best ever.my husband said they were excellent .thank you so much.this is a real keeper.–Nita

Nita, This is wonderful to hear! Thank you so much for the review – I’m very glad you both enjoyed them!

24. Shawna says

Hi, I am wondering if I can replace the flours with Bob’s Red Mill GF Blend. My small town doesn’t carry a lot of the single flours. I have BRM GF blend, coconut flour, and oat flour. Thanks!

Hi Shawna, I haven’t use the BRM GF blend in this particular recipe, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work!
      :) Megan

25. Shannon says

These buns are wonderful. My son and purpose for alternative baking (he has multiple food allergies), loves these! They work great for burgers, pork barbecue or my son’s favorite – bologna sandwiches. I also think this recipe would make a wonderful pizza crust – deep dish style – though I haven’t tested it yet. Thank you so much for sharing your creations!

26. Doris says

Another hint….you can also make them into english muffins if your molds are 3 inches. Use a tuna can and same concept with the foil. It works, I have been doing this for past 2 years now.

27. gf grandma says

Must try this recipe, I have all the ingredients. Still looking for a decent – not crumbly – hamburger bun. I like to use tuna cans for making buns. Choose the ones you open with a can opener. Standard size cans are perfect for kids buns and the bigger cans (from tuna or chicken) are better for adult sized buns. They’re reusable and cheap.

28. Anita says

I realize this is an older post, but I’m wondering if you ever use this gluten free hamburger bun recipe to make bread loaves? If so, how does it turn out?

29. Marlena says

Made these yesterday. Best gf hamburger buns I’ve tried so far in my gf journey! Fantastic! Thanks for the recipe! If I’d like to make a loaf of bread ( and I’d like that very much, because this is not just the best hamburger buns recipe – I like this dough the best of all the gf bread recipes I’ve tried so far! ), are the measurements the same, or I need to adjust something to put it in 5×9 loaf pan ( or maybe better in 8×4? )?

30. Rhonda says

Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes! These buns turned out just like your picture. They were fabulous! Finally, a sandwich bread that tastes like a sandwich! I have not found any arrowroot starch in the stores around me. I just used all tapioca starch. What would the arrowroot do for this recipe?

Thanks!

Hi Rhonda,
      You are so welcome! I’m very glad you enjoyed them. :) Honestly, this hamburger bun recipe is an older one of mine. Since creating it, I’ve learned a few things, and I can honestly tell you the arrowroot wouldn’t do much more for this recipe than the tapioca does. And tapioca starch is generally much cheaper than arrowroot starch, so you can just stick to using that in the future. ;)

31. Marilyn says

Just found your website… Yea!!! You have the best instructions with pics. Those pics are sooo important for people starting GF….especially when using various grains. Nothing looks the same as non gluten free.
    For hamburger buns, I found the large tuna tins work beautifully….and easily reusable. The small tuna tins work well for a slider size of hamburgers…excellent for young kids.

32. Maureen says

Hello, can you suggest something to use instead of foil? My household doesn’t use aluminum foil but I want to make these hamburger rolls. Thank you.

33. Barb says

You can use English muffin rings on parchment paper lined pans. It works like a charm. I got my rings from kingarthurflour.com

34. Katie says

I love your idea of making your own molds for shaping bread. I was looking at buying english muffin tins, but this will work with a canning jar! Thanks! I am excited to try your breads.

35. Maria says

Just wanted to tell you how much I love this recipe. Make it all the time and my family really enjoys it. I used to buy Udi’s brand buns but they were so thick, plus lots of weird ingredients. These are perfect. Thanks for sharing and for all your hard work.

36. Jennifer says

So,
    This recipe was atop my Facebook feed this morning when I first check it & I was immediately drawn in. I read through the post & then the recipe twice going directly to the pantry, knowing I was low on tapioca starch & millet flour but craving these after having bunless burgers for the past few years.
    In the end I substituted amaranth flour for the millet & crossed my fingers.

…We just finished dinner (buffalo burgers with fresh buffalo cheese curds mixed in topped with baby kale) on FRESH BUNS!!! AMAZING!! My life has been changed! These don’t taste gluten free at all, so soft, so playable. Thank you for this grande creation! This recipe has found a permanent fixture in our recipe collection ;)

Megan (such a great name :) )
    I loved your recipe! It has been on my to-do list and now that the world cup is in full swing and we are making a lot of hamburgers because it’s finally getting warm, I finally got around to trying it out. Phenomenal! My boyfriend who is not gluten free (by choice anyway, he still eats my cooking) loved them too. We just got a hamburger press and we’re making our own sliders. While I can get GF buns in the store here ($5 for 4) I’m not about to cut them into smaller pieces just to fit my cute burgers. I used a muffin pan as my mold for the slider buns. I baked a few in the muffin tin and then I tried letting them rise in the muffin tin and then dumping them out onto a greased cookie sheet. It worked great. I liked the ones on the cookie sheet because they were a little flatter, rounder, and more bun-shaped.
    I am also gluten and dairy free and it’s great to have a recipe that tastes so good. Thanks girl :) I’m working on my own food blog/website and I hope to feature this recipe.
    Cheers,
    Megan (from Wyoming)

38. linda t. says

Just a suggestion. I’ve been making buns for a long time using greased disposable foil mini pie pans and set
    them on apropriet size cookie sheets.So far I’ve gotten about 20 uses. Maybe it would work for you. Minds

Great idea for the moulds. I have been trying burger buns the last two weeks but didn’t have the “proper” rings so they weren’t turning out great. Will definitely be trying this.

40. Jen says

I think it’s incredibly sweet you go without for your daughters. Not many people are considerate of others lately. My husband and I do the same for each other, feels great and you feel love from the support :)

That was all I wanted to say, have a great day!!

41. Shelby says

Just made these and had to taste-test, they are awesome! Great tip for making the molds :) Can’t wait to make burgers for dinner tonight. Thanks for a great recipe, this is a keeper.

42. Nancy says

Megan, this looks great except that I can’t use eggs, sorghum flour or vinegar. I use lemon juice most of the time. I have a number of flours and wondered what you would replace the sorghum flour with? Also I have Ener-G egg replacer and flax meal but don’t know which would work best. Any hints?

Thanks

Hi Nancy,
      You can try substituting another 1/4 cup brown rice flour and 1/4 cup millet flour for the sorghum. I think lemon juice will work just fine for the vinegar. As for the eggs, other readers have made my loaf breads egg free using egg replacer and said it worked well (and those recipes are similar in structure to this one). I haven’t tried these substitutions myself, but it’s what I would try. ;) Hope that helps!