If you’re looking for a filling meal to put on the table with minimal effort, this savory crock pot gluten-free chili is an exceptional choice. A combination of canned goods and fresh ingredients keep this recipe simple and easy to throw together. It’s ideal for busy days, or for days when you just need a break from cooking in the kitchen.
I love using my crock pot year-round. In the summer months, I am able to offer my family a hearty and filling meal without heating up the house. In the busy winter months, I can prepare dinner early and forget it while I complete the tasks at hand. This gluten-free crock pot recipe is one of our favorites – we eat it year-round!
This gluten-free chili is a traditional chili recipe. If you are looking for something different, or want to switch it up a bit, check out my recipe for Instant Pot White Chili. It takes advantage of frozen chicken thighs – no thawing required!
Chocolate in Chili?! You bet!
When you look at the recipe you might find a surprise ingredient or two. You might be asking — chocolate in chili? Really? I thought the same thing the first time I heard it! Let me tell you, once you have tried it you will never go back. The cocoa with the tiniest bit of sugar work together to make the flavor of the chili stand out making it richer and smoother. It might sound odd but it tastes amazing!
Is Chili Powder Gluten-Free?
Many brands of chili powder are not labeled gluten-free, but contain no gluten ingredients. I’ve used McCormick’s Chili Powder with success, but please contact the company directly to determine if it is the right product to use for your family.
Fun Ways to Enjoy Chili Year-Round:
Here are some ways you can enjoy chili, no matter the season.
SPRING – Traditionally meals lighten up in the spring but when hunger strikes, a salad just won’t cut it!
- Turn your first family cookout into a hot dog bar, complete with all the fixings, including chili
- Freshen up your bowl with a topping of green onions, lettuce, and cilantro
SUMMER – Love to spend time camping? Chili is one of the easiest and most filling meals you can have on hand.
- Keep a pot of chili warming by the fire to a quick meal after a long hike
- Heard of handheld Frito pie? Fun, tasty, and easy cleanup!
FALL – Chase off the chill with a warm bowl of chili.
- Serve chili burgers after a game
- Put gluten-free slow cooker chili on your weekly back to school rotation
WINTER – A chili bar is a fun way to let everyone personalize their meal. It’s a simple family meal but it’s also a wonderful meal to serve to company. Prepare these toppings ahead of time for simplicity at mealtime.
- Sour Cream
- Chopped tomatoes
- The topping choices really are endless!
How To Make Gluten-Free Crock Pot Chili:
Brown the lean ground beef in a skillet over high-heat, and then add it to the bowl of your crock pot.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook on high for 4-6 hours.
Gluten-Free Chili Substitutions:
- Dried beans can be used in place of the canned beans (they just need to be cooked first!). Otherwise, for a simpler recipe, canned beans remove the extra time and fuss, allowing you to dump the ingredients, plug in the slow cooker, and go about your business.
- The level of heat in this recipe is mild, which is great if you are cooking for children or those with a tender palette. This gluten-free chili recipe can easily be spiced up by adding cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Or you can even serve it with jalapeno slices as a garnish!
- Make turkey chili by replace the lean ground beef with ground turkey.
More Gluten-Free Crock Pot Recipes:
Gluten-Free Chili Recipe:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cans (14 oz.) chili beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (7 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 cup water (or beef broth)
- 1 ½ cups diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons organic cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander seed
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a 12-inch skillet over high heat, cook the lean ground beef and season with salt and pepper. When the beef is cooked through, remove from heat and set aside.
- To the bowl of a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker, add the cooked lean ground beef, chili beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced green chilis, water, onion, garlic, chili powder, ground cumin, unsweetened cocoa powder, organic cane sugar, and ground coriander. Stir until well incorporated.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-5 hours (or on low for 6-8 hours). Season with more salt and ground black pepper to taste.
If lean ground beef is not available, you can use a fattier ground beef, just drain the fat/grease from it before adding it to the slow cooker.
The wonderful thing about chili is that you can tailor it to your preferences. Feel free to add some ground cayenne pepper to spice it up, or use your favorite beans (black beans, pinto beans, etc.) in place of the standard chili beans.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @allergyfreeak and #allergyfreealaska with your cornbread gluten-free pics!