Mom’s Amazing Gluten Free & Vegan Apple Pie

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook183Share on Google+0Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest4,144Tweet about this on Twitter41

Pie… it’s one of the best three letter words ever (especially when it’s homemade, slightly warm, and served with your favorite dairy free vanilla ice cream and a cup of coffee!). My mom’s homemade apple pie is the best, which is why her recipe inspired me to create my own gluten free version. This Mom’s Amazing Gluten Free & Vegan Apple Pie would be a wonderful addition to your holiday dessert line up, but please don’t limit this deliciousness to just a holiday recipe. Pie should be served year round- for birthdays, holidays, celebrations, or simply just because.

With this pie, it’s hard to say which is the star of the show: the apple filling perfectly smothered in a sweet layer of cinnamon and nutmeg, or the buttery-like gluten free flaky pie crust. I’ll let you decide and you’ll have to let me know. I’m partial to both, although my opinion may be somewhat biased. ;)

Mom's Apple Pie 2 Allergy Free AlaskaI confess, since perfecting my Best Gluten-Free Flaky Pie Crust Recipe I’ve gone a little overboard with my pie making (like with my Gluten & Dairy Free Maple Pumpkin Pie), but it’s just been sooooo long since I’ve had yummy pie with a flaky crust. And my family isn’t complaining- I suspect yours won’t either!

Peace, Love & Pie… xo

Mom's Amazing Gluten Free & Vegan Apple Pie

Yield: one 9-inch pie

Mom's Amazing Gluten Free & Vegan Apple Pie

1. Follow the directions for the Best Gluten-Free Flaky Pie Crust Recipe (make sure to double the recipe), and roll out one of the crusts and fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Do not trim down the excess dough from the edges of the pie crust.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the apples and lemon juice.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the palm sugar, sorghum flour, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Sprinkle the mixture over the apples and toss to coat.
  4. Place the apple mixture in the pie shell, including any of the juices that may have accumulated.
  5. Roll out the second pie crust and gently place it on top.
  6. Trim the overhanging pie crust dough edge about 1 inch from the rim of the pie plate. Fold and roll the top pie crust under the lower pie crust and flute as desired.
  7. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut a series of slits, at least 4-8, in the top of the pie crust so the steam can escape.
  8. Brush the crust with almond milk (you may not need to use the entire teaspoon), and sprinkle it with the cane sugar.
  9. Place the pie on a baking sheet (to catch drips), and baking in a preheated 425 degree (F) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees (F) and continue baking for another 45-50 minutes. The pie will be done when the crust is golden brown and the apples are soft (carefully insert a knife in one of the steam slits to test the softness).
  10. Cool for at least 2 hours before serving.

I use organic cane sugar on the outside of the crust because it caramelizes beautifully. If you don't want to use organic cane sugar, I recommend omitting it altogether. I do not recommend substituting palm sugar because it could burn instead of caramelize.

This post may contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me maintain this website. Thank you for your support in this way!

This recipe is linked to Fat TuesdaySlightly Indulgent Tuesday, Gluten Free WednesdaysAllergy Free WednesdayFrugal Day Sustainable WaysThank Your Body ThursdayTasty TraditionsFull Plate ThursdaySimple Lives Thursday and Pennywise PlatterGluten Free Fridays and Wellness Weekend

Comments

Your pie looks very artistic and delicious! I will have to try your recipe. At our local oriental store, they sell whole nutmeg very reasonably priced, and fresh nutmeg is so fragrant. It is almost like a different spice when used from the whole piece.

Did you use the pie crust shaper that was listed on Amazon?

I used to make a whole foods streusel topped one crust apple pie. From reading your posts on pie, I think I’m getting brave enough to try some more experimenting with family favorites.

Blessings,

Joanne

Hi Joanne,
      Thank you! Fresh nutmeg isn’t readily available here, so I always use the pre-ground, but I bet fresh would be absolutely wonderful in this pie. I can almost smell it now… I love the smell of nutmeg – especially fresh grated!

I use the 14-inch Pie Crust Bag to roll out my crusts. I think it is so much easier to use vs. parchment or wax paper.

Your streusel topped apple pie sounds delicious… family recipes are the best recipes. I can’t wait to hear about what you create!

2. Joyce says

I am so making your pie crust recipe, and apple pie too! I have searched the Internet for a good pie crust which is gluten free, and now my search is over! I didn’t find a good one… I found a great one! Thank you Megan!

Joyce, you bless me with your comments! ;) I have no doubt you’ll love the crust – and the pie! Happy early Thanksgiving to you and your family!

That is a beautiful pie and it looks delicious. Thank you so much for taking the time during this busy season to share your wonderful post with Full Plate Thursday. Have a wonderful weekend and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

Hi Kirk,
      That’s a great question, and the honest answer is I don’t know; I’ve never tried it. I think it *might* do okay, but I’d also imagine there would be some texture changes too… But again, I’m sorry I don’t have a real solid answer for you on this one! If you do try it, would you please come back and share the results?
      ;) Megan

4. Anna B says

I made two pies with this recipe for Thanksgiving! I used vegan shortening (palm, soy, etc) because I couldn’t find pure palm shortening in Anchorage. Haven’t eaten the pies yet but the preview pie turned out great! Thanks so much for all your experimentation.

5. Yvette says

Hi Megan! I have been on the hunt for a vgf pie recipe and this one is great! I tried it last night, and though the texture while rolling is divine, I kept thinking ‘it’s gluten free – it won’t hold together!”. So I made it a bit too thick. To my surprise, it is very flaky and crispy (like fried tortilla) on the edges, which is nice, but different than the crust I’m trying to emulate. I’m wondering if I rolled it thinner and maybe with a bit of rice bran flour (I used a produce bag – they don’t stick so no extra flour), it would be slightly more doughy, for lack of a better word? I’m seeking that soft pie pastry feel. I wonder if I may have added a bit too much shortening, as well?
    Anyways, just wanted to thank you. It’s delicious the way it is :). Of course you will agree that pie is always a matter of what you visualize as the ultimate pie experience!!!

• Yvette says

Ok – I think I answered my own question! I think I put too much water in the crust and it got hard. Still delicious, but hard. So I spent a little time researching and someone suggested a spray bottle for water – so you can just add enough to get it to come together. AND you can put it in the fridge in advance. Also, I will chill everything and try harder to keep it all cold while working. I think I let things get a bit warm between mixing and rolling.

6. Jacqueline says

Really an amazing recipe. I made this yesterday for a family (a non-gluten free/vegan family) dinner and had great reviews! Best apple pie recipe I’ve ever used!

Thank you so much for the glowing review, Jacqueline! I’m so happy you (and your guests) enjoyed it! Thank you! ;)

Oh, can you make me one for Thanksgiving? :) LOL YUMMMMMM Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I can’t wait to see what you share this week! Its LIVE!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com