Chocolate Chip Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze (Grain Free)

What a crazy month this has been! Between keeping up with activities with our girls, my husband’s Subaru breaking down (that old girl had 274,000 miles on her), needing to purchase another vehicle, and just the busyness of summer, my free time has been stretched a little thin. Which is exactly why it’s taken so long to post this recipe for all of you (sorry). Rest assured the minute you sink your teeth into one of these blissful Chocolate Chip Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze you’ll be in absolute heaven and forgive me for taking so long. :)

Or at least I’m hoping!

DSC_0784 (Small)

As a special morning treat when I was little, my dad would sometimes surprise us with a fresh box of doughnuts. I never met a doughnut I didn’t like, but the ones with the chocolate frosting were my absolute favorite. Which is why I developed these grain free doughnuts for my girls. The girls were invited to a birthday party, so instead of baking a whole cake, I wanted to make something with individual servings – that wasn’t a cupcake. So what’s better than a chocolate covered doughnut?!

These decadent chocolate dipped beauties got an overwhelming response at the party. Everyone loved them and the girls were delighted. The smiles on their little chocolate covered faces were priceless. Doughnuts just have a way of  making people happy, don’t they?

Did you have a favorite type of doughnut prior to becoming gluten free? Were you able to find a recipe or a bakery that makes your favorite doughnut after going gluten free? What’s your favorite doughnut topping? Sprinkles or chocolate chips? Nuts or shredded coconut?

DSC_0804 (Small)

Chocolate Chip Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze (Grain Free)

Yield: about 8 doughnuts

Chocolate Chip Doughnuts with Chocolate Glaze (Grain Free)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F) and generously grease 2 doughnut pans (I use these pans) with palm shortening.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the blanched almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, sea salt, and nutmeg. Cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Whisk in the eggs, almond milk, honey, and vanilla extract. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  4. Transfer the batter to a piping bag or a plastic storage bag (snip off one corner for piping) and pipe into the prepared pan, filing each well about 2/3 full.
  5. Bake for 13 - 16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked into one of the doughnuts. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a wire rack to completely cool (I use a butter knife if necessary to loosen the edges of the doughnuts from the pan).
  6. For the Chocolate glaze, place the chocolate chips and the palm shortening in a small microwavable bowl, and microwave on high in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until the chocolate chips and palm shortening are melted and mixed until smooth.
  7. Place doughnuts, one by one, upside down half way into the chocolate glaze. Remove and place right side up on a piece of parchment or waxed paper to set. If toppings are desired, sprinkle the doughnuts with desired toppings and place immediately in the freezer to set for 5 minutes (otherwise the toppings will slide off). Remove from the freezer and store in an airtight container at room temperature.

DSC_0769 (Small)

I hope you all enjoy these and have a great week!

All my love,

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Tasty Traditions, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Healthy 2Day Wednesdays, Thank Your Body Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Simple Lives Thursday, and the EOA Link Up.

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook439Share on Google+14Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest779Tweet about this on Twitter16

Comments

1. Adrienne @ Whole New Mom says

BTW, do you really like those pans? We bought a mini doughnut maker and I like it but they are tiny! Maybe that’s a good thing :).

I do like them! Granted I don’t use them that often, but the handful of times I have used them they have worked well (generously greased in palm shortening). Yes – tiny isn’t always a bad thing! ;)

2. Davina Stuart says

hrm.. i don’t have any doughnut pans right now… this is a shame.. they are getting added to my list.. i do, however, have one of those little mini doughnut cookers… like a waffle iron, but for mini doughnuts… wonder if these would work with that for the time being… made cookies today, so we will have to wait until those are gone, as we don’t need that many sweets in the house right now.. but I will soon be giving this a try with that.. until such time as I can get some new pans… :)

Let me know if you try this in your mini doughnut cooker. I don’t have one of those, but have wondered about them! :) M

3. Heather says

These look soooo good!!! They look summer picnic perfect and I haven’t used my donut pan in ages so… :)

4. Shirley @ gfe & AGFD says

Oh my goodness, Megan!! I admit that my faves varied between plain glazed to chocolate doughnuts. I know I would love these for sure!! Will make this recipe when life settles down and it’s not so hot. You say room temp coconut oil. Is that solidified? All my coconut oil is liquefied these days as we keep our thermostat set at 77. Hate running that AC! Anyway, I bet your girls were the stars of that party for sure! ;-)

Off to share …

Hi Shirley,
      HA! Living here in Alaska, my coconut oil is always solidified, and I forget that’s not the case in other parts of the country! ;) And yes, I do mean solidified. Thank you for asking – I will clarify my directions. Thank you so much for sharing!
      xoxo,

• Shirley @ gfe & AGFD says

Thanks for clarifying, dear! Always happy to share your great recipes … sharing this one has definitely brightened the day of many. ;-)

• Edonna says

Thanks for clarifying this. I’m in Mesa AZ (Phoenix) and it doesn’t matter what the AC is set to, EVERYTHING is liquid in my kitchen now! I’ll go put the oil in the fridge now :P I’m dying for doughnuts!

We live in such a different world up here because of the weather (and it’s so easy for me to forget that!). :) I can’t wait to hear how you enjoy them!

5. Laura says

OH la la, I want these now Megan!!! We have a 2006 Subaru and I have been dealing with car repairs for the last 2 weeks and we finally got most of them resolved yesterday. But we only have 95k on the car so we gotta keep it for quite awhile longer :) Hugs and this recipe looks out of this world good-those pictures are gorgeous!

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had car problems the last few weeks! Those are no fun. :( Fingers crossed this is the last of the repairs for a good long while! And thank you! Hugs to you too. :) Hope you enjoy the rest of your week!
      xo

6. Emily says

Thanks for posting these – I’ve been watching for the recipe since I saw the pic on Facebook a few days ago! ;)
    I was never big on donuts prior to becoming gluten free, but then I missed them when I couldn’t have them! There was a coffee shop down the street from an office I used to work at and when I needed a morning pick me up and I was feeling naughty I liked their old-fashioned cake donut with chocolate frosting and coconut – worth every calorie! Now I can try to recreate them. I haven’t had a donut since doing gluten free almost 5 years ago, so it’ll be a treat! Thanks again! :D

You’re so welcome! I hope you enjoy them, Emily, and are able to recreate that chocolate covered coconut-sprinkled doughnut you used to love! ;)

7. Esther says

I”m thinking I could pour the batter onto a cookie sheet then use the glaze after baking…not as much fun though…want those donutS!!

Hi Esther,
      I’ve wanted to try this recipe in a mini muffin tin – I think that would work well (but haven’t tried it). I’m not so sure about a cookie sheet though… :) Megan

8. Amber says

Um, okay girl…these are freaking gorgeous girl!!!! Oh my!! Love your pictures and love everything about the recipe. Sharing this one ASAP!!!!

Thank you for such a great recipe.

9. Kate {Eat, Recycle, Repeat} says

These look incredible! You are so right – doughnuts beat cupcakes any day. And these are so darling with the mini chips too. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

You can use coconut oil, but it is thinner than palm shortening, so your glaze will be thinner. I’ve also found the glaze doesn’t set up quite as much when coconut oil is used vs. palm shortening.

• Brooke says

Oh sad. I just went to the only 4 stores in my city and couldn’t find palm shorting, only palm oil. Just found out today that my 6 year old is having doughnuts for snack at school tomorrow. Since she is gluten free I have to make her some tonight. :( The life of a mom I guess.

Hey Brooke! I hear you – I know how that goes. :( On the flip side though, you can sub coconut oil for the palm oil. The glaze just might be a little thinner than it would be if using the palm shortening.
          Hugs!

10. Vicky says

I don’t usually like doughnuts but I must say these look outstanding and very delicious! Well done for creating such a luxurious treat! Yum!!!

11. Katie @ Produce On Parade says

Argh, we are in the same boat with needed another Subie! I hope things settle down for you! These donuts look amazing :)

Hi Karen,
      I don’t recommend deep frying these. The batter is more the consistency of a muffin batter, rather than that of a gluten-filled doughnut dough. If you don’t have a doughnut pan, I think a mini-muffin tin would work just fine as an alternate. :)

12. Jen Smith says

Hello! I made these beauties this morning! I wish I could post a picture. I live in Minnesota so I’m not sure, but it may have something to do with the fact that I only needed one donut pan for this. Not sure why, it only made 6! But the 6 it made were delicious. Thank you!

You’re very welcome, Jen! My doughnut pan makes what I refer to as “skinnier” doughnuts (they aren’t very thick), so I suspect it probably was the pan. ;) I’m glad you liked them!

13. Cassy says

Hello!!! These look absolutely incredible – I’m planning to make these for my boyfriend this weekend, because he’s gluten-free and got super excited when I showed them to him. :) Quick question though – do you think it would work to use a gluten free flour mix that I’ve used successfully for other recipes, or does the almond flour etc play a specific and integral role in this recipe?

Thank you so much!!!

Hi Cassy, :) How sweet of you to make something for your BG! What a lucky guy!!

I don’t recommend using a gluten free flour mix in this recipe. Blanched almond flour is very moist because it is high in natural fats; if you replace it with a GF mix, you’ll most likely end up with a very dry doughnut. ;(

You’re welcome!