A melt-in-your-mouth tender gluten-free coffee cake, with a cinnamon streusel topping that’s to die for. Think delectable gluten-free cinnamon roll, just without all the work!
Every Easter our church puts on a really nice brunch for the congregation. The couple that organizes it understands what it means to be gluten-free, and takes extra consideration when it comes to me and my gluten-free, dairy-free girls. Which is so amazing!!
It is such a treat to have safe food at our brunch (omelets, bacon and fruit) that we can eat. It’s very special!
It’s been a tradition that I bake a gluten-free coffee cake to take to brunch, to supplement what we can eat.
Last year I made my Gluten-Free Blueberry Coffee Cake, but this year I wanted to bring something new, so I developed this gluten-free dairy-free coffee cake.
This luscious gluten-free coffee cake literally melts in your mouth. It’s so decadent and delicious with a double layer of cinnamon streusel and a sweet, sugary glaze.
You’ll notice this coffee cake has a gorgeous golden brown tone to it, instead of being vanilla white. That’s because of the combination of the sorghum flour, which aids in browning, and also the almond flour/meal.
Almond meal/flour browns up beautifully in the oven, because it is high in healthy fats. The almond flour/meal also keeps this delicious cake rich and moist. No one will believe it is gluten-free, let alone dairy-free!
I hope your family enjoys this gf coffee cake as much as mine does!
Gluten-Free Coffee Cake Recipe:
For the Cinnamon Streusel:
- ¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- ⅓ cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the Coffee Cake:
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce, at room temperature
- ½ cup olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- ½ cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk (or your favorite dairy-free milk)
To make the Cinnamon Streusel:
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour, organic cane sugar, organic brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and sea salt. Add the melted coconut oil, and use a fork to completely work it into the mixture until it resembles wet sand. Set aside.
To make the Coffee Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F) and generously grease a 9-inch baking dish or cake pan with coconut oil or vegan butter.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the 1 to 1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour, blanched almond flour, organic cane sugar, baking soda, ground nutmeg, and sea salt. Set aside.
- To the bowl of an electric mixer, add the unsweetened applesauce, olive oil, eggs, honey, and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended.
- Carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Use your hands to sprinkle half of the cinnamon streusel evenly over the top of the batter.
- Now top the cinnamon streusel with the remaining cake batter and use an offset spatula to carefully spread the batter out in an even layer. I find starting from the middle of the cake and working the batter out towards the outer edges works best.
- Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon streusel out in an even layer over the cake batter.
- Bake 38-45 minutes, or until a toothpick, when poked in the middle of the cake, comes out clean.
- Cool completely before topping with the glaze.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Wholesome Sweeteners, Inc., Organic Powdered Confectioners Sugar, 16 oz (454 g) - 2pcs
Pure Vanilla Extract, Certified Organic
Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
Nutiva Organic, Steam Refined Coconut Oil from non-GMO, Sustainably Farmed Coconuts, 15 Fluid Ounces
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour
Anthony's Almond Flour Blanched (2lb) Batch Tested Gluten-Free, Non-GMO & Vegan