“Liquid Gold” a.k.a. Dairy Free Caramel Sauce (Paleo, vegan & refined sugar free)

Caramel… sweet sweet caramel…. It’s something many of us haven’t been able to indulge in –  in a very long time. And I’m not talking about healthier caramel made from almond butter or dates (not that there’s anything wrong with those), but I’m talking about real sinfully rich caramel.

So sinful that it melts in your mouth and can turn any good dessert into an incredible one.

This will forever change the history of your vanilla ice cream.

And your sliced apples.

And your brownies.

Not to mention your coffee (you can thank me later). ;)

DSC_0421 (Small)

To those of you with small children in your home, please use caution when making this. I use the back burner on my stove and tell my girls to stay out of the kitchen (just to be safe)!

All my love,

PS – There is no shame in sneaking spoonfuls out of the fridge when no one is looking. In fact, I highly encourage it!

• 14 ounces canned coconut milk
  • 1 cup palm sugar (I use either Big Tree Farms or Madhava)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Small pinch of sea salt

1. In a small heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the coconut milk, palm sugar, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes and then remove from heat.
  2. Whisk in the coconut oil, vanilla, and sea salt.
  3. Allow the Caramel Sauce to cool for 20 minutes. A thin film will naturally form over the top of the sauce; this is perfectly normal. Simply give the sauce a good whisk before pouring it into a glass airtight container (I use a canning jar). The sauce will continue to thicken (although not much) while it cools.
  4. Store in the refrigerator. Can be served warm or cold. Use within 5-7 days.

This caramel sauce is just that – a sauce. It is fairly runny and won’t get really thick like a dairy-filled caramel will. I’ve tried simmering it for longer periods of time (40 minutes) just to test it. It does get slightly thicker, but I actually prefer the ease of a 15 minute simmer time. If you would like to simmer it longer for a thicker consistency, I suggest reducing the amount of palm sugar used to 3/4 cup.

I highly, highly recommend using palm sugar in this recipe. Palm sugar has a wonderful caramel-like flavor, so it really adds to the richness of the sauce. I tried making this recipe once using sucant and didn’t care for it. Trust me, use palm sugar!

When you first bring the coconut milk, palm sugar and maple syrup to a boil, don’t leave it unattended on the stove. It can (and will) boil over if you aren’t careful. Keep an eye on it.

This post is linked to Gluten Free Wednesday,  Wellness Weekend, Fight Back Friday, Fat Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy Free Wednesday and Make Your Own Monday.

This post contains affiliate links. Allergy Free Alaska, LLC receives a small commission from the sales made through these links. However, we only promote affiliate products we use or support wholeheartedly. The commissions received through your purchases help maintain this site. Thank you for your support!

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook1,654Share on Google+59Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn1Share on StumbleUpon52Pin on Pinterest5,352Tweet about this on Twitter30

Comments

1. Vicky says

Hi Megan

This IS sinful BUT in a wonderful way! Your photos are fantastic, it looks so creamy and delicious!

And, what a great idea to just mention the dangers of cooking this near the front of the stove!

Vicky xo

2. Shirley @ gfe & AGFD says

Oh, Megan, this is divine! I’m out of coconut sugar and have been relying on dates, honey, and bananas to sweeten, but I’m off to order some right now. This recipe is a MUST make for sure! :-)

• Linda says

I have such a sweet tooth and this looks so delicious. I will drizzle over apples or over almond cake . .Thanks, can’ wait to try . .great new website

3. jamiemid says

Wow, this looks fabulous, and I think I actually have everything I need to make this. What are the odds of that happening?! I am going to make this and try not to eat it all before Sunday night.

4. Adrienne @ Whole New Mom says

Wonderful – I’ve been wanting to make something like this. Now…for a caramel candy :).

Thank you Adrienne! And I agree… caramel candy has been on my mind too. I’d still like to experiment with this recipe, but my candy thermometer broke. Time for a new one! ;)

5. Ruth Bradford says

Hi Megan, I am a newcomer to your blog as well as gluten-free baking. I would like to try some of your recipes; however, I am unable to print just a selection (meaning the recipe only). I can print 20 pages, 69 pages but not just the one or two for the recipe. Am I not permitted to print these recipes (copywrite infringement, etc) or is it something I am not doing to get them printed? I really enjoy reading your detailed information about breadmaking and would definitely like to be able to try it myself. Thanks in advance for your response.

• Heather T. says

Try copying the selection you want, and pasting it into Notepad or Word, and just printing that part…

Hi Ruth,
      :) I’m so glad you found me – welcome to Allergy Free Alaska! I understand your frustration when trying to print my recipes and such. I have yet to find a print recipe add-on (they are called plugins) for my website that can handle the detail I like to include. I will keep looking. Sorry for the inconvenience!

• Ruth Bradford says

Thanks Megan….hope you get what you are looking for soon. I think I will try Heather T’s option. Thanks.

• Ruth Bradford says

Thanks Megan…i hope you will be able to find something soon. However, may I caution you to make sure we can print only the recipe and perhaps one picture. There would be too many pages to put into a book if all your pics and info were included. I love to READ all that info but would only want a one-page printout. For now I will use Heather T’s suggestion. Thanks a lot.

• says

Ruth, I keep my email open in another window, use the copy command to copy to my email, and then I email it to myself. I have another email address that I email to, however you can email from your email to the SAME email address and it will com back to you.

• Jacqui Kruzewski says

I’m viewing this on my iPad, but I’m sure it can’t be much different on a PC……… Hit the “print” icon on the top right of the recipe (next to the blue “save” icon) and a print friendly version should generate which contains just the recipe. Then click print. Usually I have to view this in Safari to get it to work, but in this case it worked straight from Facebook.

6. Nancy@http://glutenfreetravels.blogspot.com/ says

This sounds incredible! Will definitely be making this. Love the palm sugar also, has such a wonderful depth of flavor. Thanks.

Hi Mary, no, I don’t have the nutritional info on this. You might be able to plug the recipe ingredients into a health site like My Fitness Pal and it should be able to break it down for you. :)

• Mary says

Thank you Megan! I will do that. I am trying to keep carbs down but really would like to try it in my morning coffee :-)

7. Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen says

I found your blog today via Shirley from gfe. This sauce looks amazing! I make a dairy & sugar-filled version but would love to try this one! Thanks so much for sharing. Your photos are so good!!

8. amber says

Hi Meg,

I am sooo excited about this recipe. It looks just divine! Oh my. I have to say, I’m a big fan of caramel and so I’m very much looking forward to making your version. I can see this on top of coconut vanilla ice cream! Swoon!!

I’m featuring this awesome recipe tonight on AFW. Thanks for sharing with us and being such a supportive part of our AFW community.

Hugs to you,

9. Heidi says

This sounded so delicious I had to make it right away. :) It tastes DELICIOUS, however, I couldn’t get the same rich caramel color as in your photos. I only had organic cane sugar on had, and used about 3/4 cup, could that be the cause?

Also – I was wondering why you add coconut oil at the end? (Just curious what it adds to the sauce – does it help keep it loose and saucey?) Thanks for the great recipe, Heidi

Hi Heidi,
      I only recommend using palm sugar in this recipe (it’s noted in the recipe notes). I tried using sucant one time and didn’t like it as much as the palm sugar. Palm sugar just has a wonderful depth of flavor (and natural caramel color). It really makes this recipe special!

The added coconut oil gives the caramel sauce an added richness and smoothness. You don’t have to add it, but I personally think it makes the recipe better. :)

10. Gabriela says

Hi Megan! You’ve made me so happy with this recipe! I’m sensitive to sugar so I wonder if I could use the English Toffee liquid stevia and xylitol to replace the coconut sugar and maple syrup… hmm that would probably throw off the proportions? Well I might just indulge anyway! Pinning :)

11. Chefjen says

Eating it by the spoonful right now! I cooled some in the freezer and it is very different tastin from the room temp syrup. The freezer one is much lighter and thicker ( thickness was why I I’d the experiment) I prefer the room temp one. It’s so good!

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Jen! And thanks for letting me know about the freezer experiment!
      ;) Megan

12. Jana says

Just wondering…can you make this in larger batches and waterbath process it for storage for longer than a week?

Hi Jana,
      I’m not sure what a “waterbath process” is? If I were wanting to keep this for more than a week I would try freezing it.

13. Chester says

I added a tablespoon of corn starch just before taking it off the burner (and stirred it in well) and mine thickened up very nicely (not thick enough to be chewy, but thick enough to make it stick to my spoon). It was divine! Thank you!

14. Bob says

This “Liquid Gold” IS THE MOST AWESOME CARAMEL SAUCE EVER!!! EXACTLY for what I was looking as someone who is recently allergic to dairy and cane sugar… I made this last night…using 1T. cornstarch at the beginning of the recipe before heating to aid in the thickening process and using 2 good splashes of pure vanilla extract (’cause I’m addicted :) and it worked beautifully…other than that, I used your exact recipe… BRILLIANT!! Maybe my taste buds were off last night, but while it was still warm, it didn’t taste like caramel to me… Tasting it (many times) today after it chilled in the fridge overnight, my eyes rolled to the back of my head with pleasure. YUM! YUM!! I could DRINK this stuff!!!!!! Using it to make turtle “ice cream” tomorrow :) Megan, Thank you SO MUCH for this amazing recipe!!!

Hi Bob,
      ;) You are are so, SO welcome! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Eat some of that turtle ice cream for me!

15. JD says

Hi, I’m in Australia & trying to convert this for local measurements (I’m making it to go with spelt flour sticky date cake, since one of the other guests at the afternoon tea is avoiding dairy & wheat). I just need to know please, is the coconut milk measured by weight or volume (i.e. fluid ounces)?
    Also, I’m thinking of substituting golden syrup for the maple syrup, since the latter is very expensive here. (I think this should work well, since golden syrup has a kind of caramel-y taste anyway.)

Thanks!

Hi JD,
      The coconut milk is measured by fluid ounces. And I’m not sure about the golden syrup – I’ve never had it before. Your cake sounds wonderful!
      :) Megan

• JD says

Thanks Megan! And thanks for the recipe. :) It will be my first time using my new round cake pans & cake carrier – I’ve never brought a cake to anyone’s house before – I expect to be loved by all after that. :)

16. Kayla says

I accidentally used Pure Cane Sugar instead of Palm Sugar in the recipe….is there anything I can do to fix the taste so that I don’t have to waste what I made? I know it defeats the purpose of the “Paleo friendly” caramel sauce but I just hate to waste it.

Hi Kayla,
      Oh no! Hmm… palm sugar has such a different flavor than cane sugar… it would be hard to doctor it to make it “taste better.” Perhaps some maple extract? But I’ve never used it myself, so it’s really hard to say. I’m sorry!

• Kayla says

Thank you for replying so quickly! I may just have to throw it out. It doesn’t taste horrible, just a little weird and more like a simple syrup. I was going to use this recipe in my iced coffee as a healthy alternative to the sugar free caramel sauce I currently use….so I would be breaking my diet to just use my cane sugar version anyways. I can’t wait to try your recipe!

17. Dafni says

Just made this- SO DELICIOUS!! I make my own brown sugar with organic cane sugar and molasses and that’s all I had, so I subbed the palm sugar. It is caramely, and creamy and delicious! Thanks so much!

18. Nancy says

Question/Suggestion. Have you tried leaving the maple syrup out to see if it will thicken that way? I make a chocolate fudge/frosting with coconut milk and choc chips that get pretty thick. Just wondering if the extra liquid keeps it from thickening more. It looks wonderul!

Hi Meagan. This looks so good. Would it be thick enough to coat and stick to apple, a la caramel apples, perhaps with the addition of corn starch as one commenter suggested?

Hi Cookie’s Mom,
      As the recipe is written, it would not be thick enough to coat and stick to apples. With the addition of corn starch – I honestly don’t know. If you were to try that route, I’d recommend using a candy thermometer and simmering it until it reaches the “hard ball” stage (250-266 degrees F). If you do try it, would you please come back and let us know the results? :)
      Good luck!

20. Marisha says

This sounds incredible. I am going to make this recipe to make caramel filled chocolates for my husband for Valentines day! Has anyone tried to do this yet? Thank you again for so many wonderful recipes. :)

21. christina says

Does anyone know if you can do this without coconut? I have issues with coconut…. I mostly use hazelnut milk if I need a milk alternative, bit I’m thinking that would fail horribly.

Hi Christina,
      There isn’t a replacement for the coconut milk in this recipe. However, since this recipe won’t work for you, maybe this dairy free caramel sauce will that’s made from sweet potatoes. You can view the recipe by clicking HERE.
      Hope that one works for you!

22. Michelle says

Oh yah! Cant wait to try this recipe, we are a allergy free NY family :) I am going to attempt a chocolate poke cake using the chocolate sauce recipe above and then marshmallow topping with crumbled graham crackers for kick of to summer picnic ! Thanks for the recipe!

23. Eileen says

One question and one tip: My sons are allergic not only to dairy, but also to coconut and to soy protein (as well as eggs and all nuts). Would rice milk work? I’ve been looking for a dairy-free caramel for ages, and was so excited to see this post. I am hoping to make it work.

Here’s my suggestion: one of my sons son also has dysphagia, a swallowing disorder. He uses a thickening agent for thin liquids called “Thick It Powder.” It is hypoallergenic and available at drug stores, like Walgreens. It is odorless and tasteless and can be added to hot and cold liquids. I bet you can add this to your caramel to thicken it enough t be used for cake fillings, etc., when you need a thicker product. I have successfully used Thick It powder to thicken homemade gravy and Jello-brand puddings made with rice milk, and they turn out great.

Hi Eileen,
      If you were using only rice milk, no, it wouldn’t work as a sub; however, with the thickening powder you describe it might. I think you’d have to experiment with it and try it out. Good luck! ;)

24. Ashley says

The coconut milk I use is practically all cream. Should I mix it up our just use the cream? I think it might make it a little thicker and richer.

I would mix it up, but that’s just my preference. You could try all coconut cream, but just make sure the amount you use is equal to a full can of coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cup).

25. Shannon says

Thank you!!!!! This is so super easy and super yummy!! Mix a little with the cream off of my raw milk into my coffee….ohhhh so good!!!