Gluten Free Oatmeal Millet Bread

Thank you to those to left feedback on my Facebook page letting me know what type of grains you were looking for in my new bread loaf recipe!

Dough just put into the pan, oats sprinkled on top, covered with plastic wrap, and ready to rise!
Risen, and ready for the oven.
9″ x 5″ bread pan
Out of the oven!
Ready for toast, a sandwich, or whatever you want to use it for!

Note: I have found millet flour causes baked goods to spoil quickly.  This loaf will keep for about 24 hours, after that time, I recommend freezing it in slices to pull out enjoy when needed.  Use parchment paper to keep the slices from sticking together.

Yeast Ingredients
3 TBSP honey (agave nectar would work just fine too)
1 1/4 cup warm water (between 110 – 115 degrees F)
1 TBSP active dry yeast (NOT instant yeast)

Wet Ingredients
3 eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Dry Ingredients
1 cup millet flour
1/2 cup freshly ground oat flour**
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup arrowroot starch (or potato starch – it makes my joints swell so I don’t use it)
1 TBSP xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp sea salt

Extra whole rolled oats to sprinkle on top of your loaf.

**I make my own oat flour by grinding gluten free rolled oats (the Bob’s Red Mill brand) in my food processor.  If you don’t have a food processor, try the blender.

Directions:
In a small mixing bowl, combine the honey and the warm water; mix until the honey is dissolved.  Sprinkle in the yeast and give it a quick stir to combine.  Allow to proof for 10 minutes (set a timer!) – NO more, NO less time.  Make sure you have the other wet and dry ingredients mixed and ready to go when the 10 minutes are up!

Using a heavy duty mixer, combine the dry ingredients.

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, and vinegar.

When the yeast is done proofing, add the wet ingredients to the dry.  Stir until it’s a little paste-like, then add the yeast mixture.  Using your mixer’s low speed setting, mix for about 30 seconds.  Scrape the sides of the bowl then mix on medium for about 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth.  (You may need to stop your mixer and scrape the sides of your bowl a few more times.)

Pour dough into a well greased 9″ x 5″ bread pan, sprinkle with oats, and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to rise for an hour (Check the loaf 30 minutes into rising.  When the dough is close to hitting the plastic wrap, remove it; allow the dough to rise the remaining time uncovered.)  When the hour of rising is up, preheat your oven to 375 degrees (F).  When the oven is up t
o temperature, place loaf in oven and bake for 35 – 40 minutes.

Remove loaf from pan and allow it to cool on a wire rack.  The loaf must be completely cooled before being cut into (if you can stand to leave it alone for that long!).

Don’t forget to check out the GlutenFree Homemaker for Gluten-Free Wednesdays!

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook184Share on Google+2Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest1,576Tweet about this on Twitter2

Comments

Hi Kelly,
        Yes, a mix should work just fine. Just keep in mind some mixes already contain xanthan gum. Try using a mix that doesn’t, so that you can make sure the loaf gets the full 1 TBSP. ;)

Trying your bread today. Your ratios are a little different than mine (more liquid more flour), but your results look better. I also like your addition of baking powder. Curious to see how that changes the results. Going to try this in my bread machine.

It turned out pretty good. I weighted my flours and liquids. I also used rapid rise yeast, which is what my machine calls for when using the gluten free cycle, which is a rapid cycle with very little rise time. The loaf sank a little bit, but not much. I have had this happen where the entire loaf collapses on itself. I think I will play around with the amount of liquid and the amount of xanthan gum and yeast, maybe decreasing each in small amounts individually. It is a beaufitul loaf overall though and a good 4 1/2 to 5 inches. I also made your almond shortbread cookies this morning and subbed maple syrup and they are very good.

3. Sheri says

I made this yesterday. I just have to tell you it didn't even last 24 hours for me to find out if it would spoil. I always said I never really missed bread either but I sure have been eating a lot of it lately thanks to you :)

Hi Megan,I just found your blog and it is lovely. This recipe looks wonderful and I plan to try making it this afternoon. I will definitely report back. Thank you for sharing! -Terris

5. Toni says

Megan, thank you so much for this! I just made some today! I didn't have millet flour so I used sweet white rice flour and added about a 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds. I will admit I had to cut into it right after I took it out of the over! I made some honey butter to have on it for a treat with steaks tonight! Keep up the great work! You are amazing!

6. Betty Rocker says

What a wonderful recipe! I’ve been working on a gluten free bread recipe where I”m using chia seeds as a binder. I’m really looking forward to trying your recipe.

7. Jenn says

I don’t have a blender, food processor (of any size) or a mixer (does a small electric egg-beater count?). This hasn’t been an issue in the past but I wonder if it might alter the results when baking GF because the ingredients and processes are so exacting. What are your thoughts on this?

Hi Jenn,
      Great question! You need an electric stand mixer like a KitchenAid or something similar to make gluten free bread. Gluten free bread dough has to be whipped to get air into the dough and to create a perfectly smooth texture. This cannot be achieved by stirring by hand or by using an electric hand mixer. :) Megan

• Jenn says

Thanks! I guess I’ll have to figure this out. I have neither budget nor space (we’re shedding all items to move onto a boat).

8. cindy says

Hello,
    I made this bread tonight and it looked amazing, until it started to fall as soon as I took it out of the oven :-( Just wondering if you have any tips on how to prevent this from happening again or have any idea why this happened.
    Cindy

9. Anna says

Hi.
    I was just wondering…. (and i’m surprised no one has asked about this yet…),
    When you mention the ‘WET Ingredients’, it says eggs, olive oil and vinegar. But later on, when you say to mix the wet ingredients together, you write: eggs, oil, WATER and vinegar.
    Where does the water come in? Is water supposed to be put in or not?
    I have managed to make this bread and always comes out wonderful, and i add a bit of water, but not sure if i’m supposed to? please clarify.
    Thank you so much!

10. Krista Dolan says

OH MY… I have to Thank you! I’m an avid baker – have been for many years.. and baking bread as always been very cathartic for me. It reminds me of my mom and learning how to cook with her. :)
    To bake 6 loaves in a day is nothing for me, but since having to give up gluten in May, I haven’t been able to find any recipe that actually tastes, looks and smells like bread!! I’ve just about given up, this weekend was my last attempt ! Its just is costing too much in time – energy and flour! I happened upon your blog and I”m so happy that I did! I tried the Oatmeal Millet bread and it’s incredible!! It tastes, smells and looks like bread – THANK YOU! I can’t wait to try out the other recipes on your site! You’ve put me back on the wagon to bake again!
    Krista

Hello Megan
    I seen your recipe last month, (of course i did not write the link down) so I am so happy
    that I found it again. I have been searching for almost 2 weeks, the clue was the slicing of your bread on your site.
    So, offer to the health store and purchase some oats GF, the only thing I will change is the amount of millet, I will be putting in some chick pea.
    I will let you know. Thanks for your kindness
    Blessings
    Marg

Hi Marg,
      I’m so glad you found me! ;)

Be careful with adding chickpea flour. It can turn the bread grainy, and make it crumbly and dry (you can read more of my bread tips HERE). If you need a substitute for the millet, I would suggest more sorghum flour or millet flour.

Good luck!

12. Jennifer says

Hi everyone! I want to thank you so much for putting this recipe up. I made it today… Total success! I have tried many many many many bread recipes and this is the first one I’ve been able to make work. I made one substitution I used Namaste’s perfect flour blend instead of each of the different flours that you used in this recipe. My bread turned out just a touch on the spongy side but it is still excellent! I can’t thank you enough …my husband will be so happy to have fresh normal, delicious bread when he gets home tonight!

13. Maria says

Hi, I’m been making several of your bread recipes and want to try this one next. I noticed that the directions (proofing yeast longer and cooking it longer) are different then many of your other ones. Also, the yeast and xanthan gum are more. Just wondering if this is an older or newer recipe and wondering if these small variations do make that much of a difference. I make a few of your recipes so often that I barely need to read them anymore. I wasn’t expecting this one to be much different. Thanks for all the great recipes.

Maria,
      Oohhh… you are good! Yes, this is an older recipe. ;) You’d be okay proofing the yeast for 7 minutes like the others, along with reducing the yeast to 2 1/4 teaspoons, and the xanthan gum to 2 3/4 teaspoons. Thanks for catching that! I will have to update this recipe when I have the chance! ;) Megan

14. Sharon says

I made this bread yesterday and it’s delicious. My mother is an amazing baker and this recipe has everything I love about homemade bread without the gluten. (Thank God!) I was impressed with the ease of the recipe and the troubleshooting post was so helpful. Looking it over before I attempted the recipe helped me avoid any mishaps. You mentioned that the mixer is a must and while I’m sure it’s much easier with one, I was still able to achieve the desired result with quite a bit of vigorous hand mixing and folding. I also whisked the dry ingredients together a lot before combining everything. In the end everything was well incorporated, no falling, baked evenly all the way through, plenty of air pockets, nooks and crannies. Lol So for those of you who don’t have a mixer don’t be discouraged, just put your back into it. Thanks for the awesome recipe! Udi’s won’t be taking any more of my money. *:)