Your kiddos will love these homemade fruit snacks sweetened entirely with honey, and without any added artificial colors or flavors.
You know the feeling when you’re working really hard to get something just right, and then suddenly a little one appears, and they give a giggle and sneak in for attack?! Yeah, that totally happens here all the time. This time I certainly couldn’t blame little Abbi though. These Tropical Orange Fruit Snacks are soooo good, she just wanted to try another sample for quality control purposes. She works hard taste testing recipes to ensure everything coming out of the Allergy Free Alaska kitchen is of A++ quality. 🙂
Fruit snacks are such a hot commodity around our house. I don’t buy them often, because the brands with pure ingredients are expensive. This homemade recipe of mine produces a whole 9×13″ pan of fruit snacks, which is more convenient and realistic for families feeding 2 children or more. Everyone deserves to eat more than 10 fruit snacks in one sitting (because you know you want to)! You can use whatever brand of gelatin powder you like, I use the Now Foods brand of beef gelatin powder, simply because it’s cheaper than other brands (like the Great Lakes brand) and comes in a resealable pouch. It is not portioned out in individual envelopes.
And… well, if you’d like to know what my children thought of these fruit snacks, here’s another glimpse of Abbi girls’ smile. Her face says it all!
This post may contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me maintain this website. Thank you for your support in this way!
- 8 ounces frozen mango chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 cup pure orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup [url href=”http://amzn.to/1AbKZ3v” target=”_blank”]unflavored beef gelatin powder[/url]
- In a blender, combine the frozen mango chunks, unsweetened pineapple juice, pure orange juice, honey, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and fresh squeezed lime juice. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blender contents into a 3-quart saucepan and whisk in the unflavored beef gelatin powder. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften the gelatin. The mixture should appear thick and be the consistency of applesauce.
- Place the saucepan on the stovetop and heat over medium, whisking constantly until the gelatin is dissolved and the mixture is hot and no longer gritty. Do not heat to boiling.
- Pour the saucepan contents into a 9x13x2” glass baking dish. Place directly into the refrigerator (uncovered) to set for 2-3 hours.
- Use a paring knife to cut the fruit snacks into bite sized cubes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Consume within 10 days.