Lazy Mom’s Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook109Share on Google+1Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest586Tweet about this on Twitter6

In addition to painting my nails and eating bon bons all day (lol), I happen to LOVE easy “lazy” meals. After I do homeschool with the girls in the afternoon, I often test and experiment with 2-3 recipes, so by the time dinner rolls around I’m out of steam and don’t want to cook anything else. Which is exactly why I love this Lazy Mom’s Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. It’s made out of ingredients that I always have on hand, so I don’t have to plan ahead, and it hardly takes any time to make. To keep it a simple “lazy” meal, I normally throw together a quick salad to go along with our soup. Who doesn’t like a good soup and salad? ;)

All my love,

Easy Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Lazy Mom’s Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Yield: about 6 servings

Lazy Mom’s Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

1. In a Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic and dried basil and cook for another minute.
  4. Stir in the crushed tomatoes with basil, vegetable or chicken broth, and palm sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat.
  5. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
  7. Stir in canned coconut milk and season to taste with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
  8. Serve with freshly baked Gluten & Dairy Free Dinner Rolls slathered with ghee.

I HIGHLY recommend this brand of coconut milk. It's smooth, creamy, and has no preservatives, additives or gums. It's just straight coconut milk. It does spoil quickly, so use what you need and freeze the remaining.

If you can have sheep milk dairy, try sprinkling your soup with a bit of picorino ramano cheese. It's fabulous.

This recipe is linked to Make Your Own Monday, Teach Me Tuesday, Fat TuesdayAllergy Free WednesdayGluten Free Wednesdays, Frugal Day Sustainable Ways, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Full Plate Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Wellness Weekend and Pennywise Platter, and Gluten Free Fridays.

This post may contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me maintain this website. Thank you for your support in this way!

Comments

1. Connie says

So, I shouldn’t use the coconut milk I make myself? So glad to have a tomato soup recipe I can eat though, thank you!!!

HA! Thank you, Shirley. ;) I totally agree… love those “lazy” uncomplicated meals. Sometimes they are even more tasty than the complicated ones!
      xoxo,
      M

This is a great recipe, Megan! And I totally know what you mean about cooking all day and then exhausted by dinner! It takes serious motivation to cook dinner every night. But I find it’s fun to cook and experiment with things during the day – the energy is not coming from the same place, you know.

Gorgeous pictures! And I love tomato soup. Just lovely.

xoxo,
    –Am

Hi Megan! I love this! I’m totally with you trying to find shortcuts at the end of the day. I have some “lazy” soups too. LOL about nails and Bon bons.

You had me at Lazy Mom… haha. This recipe sounds perfect! I can’t wait to try it with some grain free grilled cheese sandwiches. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

5. Amanda says

I’m getting ready to make this tonight for the 2nd time, it is so delicious and so easy! I make sure now that I keep cans of the tomatoes on hand so I can whip up a batch when were short on time for dinner. Thank you for these great recipes!

6. Alia says

Oh my goodness, this is just what a Chiberia-dwelling PhD student needs to have on hand in huge vats to get through the winter! Now that I have experienced the culinary ease and joy of your pie crust recipe, I have the utmost faith in everything you post. Do you suppose this soup will freeze well?

Also, I’m so glad you posted a link to the chicken broth you use. My husband and I have had an impossible time finding chicken stock that doesn’t induce a glutening reaction, but I see that, as this one doesn’t contain some unnamed ‘spices’ as an ingredient, Pacific Organic has probably done a good job of minimizing the risk of cross-contamination. Time to stock up!

Hi again, Alia! I think this soup would freeze great. I haven’t tried it myself, but I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t.

Glad the link to the broth was helpful! I normally make my own stock, but that brand is nice to have on hand when I run out of my homemade supply. ;)