In addition to painting my nails and eating bon bons all day (lol), I happen to LOVE easy “lazy” meals. After I do homeschool with the girls in the afternoon, I often test and experiment with 2-3 recipes, so by the time dinner rolls around I’m out of steam and don’t want to cook anything else. Which is exactly why I love this Dairy-Free Lazy Mom’s Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. It’s made out of ingredients that I always have on hand, so I don’t have to plan ahead, and it hardly takes any time to make. To keep it a simple “lazy” meal, I normally throw together a quick salad to go along with our soup. Who doesn’t like a good soup and salad? 😉
- 2 tablespoons ghee, olive oil, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes with basil
- 5 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth for non-vegan
- 1-2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1/3 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dried basil and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes with basil, vegetable or chicken broth, and palm sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Stir in canned coconut milk and season to taste with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve with freshly baked Gluten & Dairy Free Dinner Rolls slathered with ghee.
If you can have sheep milk dairy, try sprinkling your soup with a bit of picorino ramano cheese. It's fabulous.
This post may contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me maintain this website. Thank you for your support in this way!