Best Gluten-Free Flaky Pie Crust Recipe

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook1,560Share on Google+8Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon1Pin on Pinterest3,198Tweet about this on Twitter21

When my parents were married, my dad gave my mom a jewelry box with “A pie a week keeps the husband sweet” inscribed on the inside of it. Needless to say, after 40+ years of marriage, mom became an expert pie maker. Her banana cream pie is my absolute favorite (or was my favorite; I plan on making over that recipe one of these days), but if you asked my dad what his favorite pie is, he’d probably vote pecan.

DSC_0864 (Small)

I think making pie crust is a bit of an art. Mixing the dough just enough not to overwork it, handling and feeling the dough to know the correct texture and consistency, rolling the dough, and being able to roll it out evenly. It’s taken me years of watching and helping my mom to somewhat feel like I have a handle on it, and even still I have off days. The great thing about pie crust though, it doesn’t matter if you’re a seasoned pie crust maker or not. Pie crust doesn’t necessarily have to look good – it just has to taste good. And I can assure you this pie crust lives up to its name. It really is the Best Gluten-Free Flaky Pie Crust Recipe I’ve ever had. So if your crust doesn’t end up looking as “perfect” as you think it should, don’t fret. Just remember that you’ll never find any two homemade pie crusts that look the same. Differences add character and uniqueness to your pies!

I’ve been working on this recipe for years. Previously I’ve made several gluten free pie crusts that have worked, and worked well, but they still weren’t good enough to meet my standards. I wanted a flaky pie crust recipe that could hold its own if ever compared to mom’s. Finally, after years of experimenting and making 3 different pies this week… by George, I did it!

But before we get to the recipe, I wanted to share a few pictures with you. This (below) is my chilled and lightly floured disk of dough, sitting on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper. You can either roll the dough out as is (using more flour as you go along so the dough doesn’t stick to your rolling pin), or you can place another piece of parchment paper on top of the disk of dough and roll it out between the sheets of parchment. It just depends on what’s easier for you and what you prefer.

DSC_0879 (Small)Once the dough is rolled out, you can either invert the pie crust over the top of the pie plate (say a little prayer) and gently peel off the back of the parchment paper, or you can use your rolling pin to help move the crust. These next few pictures will show you how I start to move the pie crust with the rolling pin:

DSC_0918 (Small)DSC_0919 (Small)DSC_0920 (Small)DSC_0923 (Small)

A Note Regarding Substitutions:
As stated earlier, I’ve worked very hard over the last few years to develop a truly perfect gluten-free pie crust recipe. That said, the ingredients I’ve used in this recipe were chosen for specific reasons. If you substitute another flour or ingredient than that as listed, I can’t guarantee the end result of your pie crust. Testing recipes is incredibly time consuming, and unfortunately I can’t fine tune a recipe to fit everyone’s individual dietary needs. If the ingredients in this specific recipe won’t work for you, please let it be your guide, or a launching point for you to do your own experimentation. ;) I’m more than willing to aid in suggestions or give you my opinion. Just please know I can’t guarantee the end results!

Best Gluten-Free Flaky Pie Crust Recipe

Yield: one single pie crust pastry

Best Gluten-Free Flaky Pie Crust Recipe

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, millet flour, arrowroot starch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, and sea salt.
  2. Cut in the palm shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Add the apple cider vinegar and water, and stir gently until the mixture comes together to form a dough. Place the ball of dough inside of a large zip lock bag and use your hands to flatten it into a disk. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  4. To roll the dough, lay a piece of parchment paper on a work surface and lightly sprinkle with flour. Place the disk of dough in the middle of the parchment paper, sprinkle the disk with flour, and roll the dough into an 11-12 inch round starting from the middle and working out towards the edges. Keep sprinkling the dough with flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking to the rolling pin.
  5. Using your rolling pin (as pictured above) to aid in moving the dough, carefully ease the crust into a 9 inch pie plate. Or use the bottom layer of parchment paper to invert the entire pie crust over the top of the pie plate (say a little prayer) and gently peel off the parchment paper. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie pan (if there are any tears in the crust, simply wet your fingers and try to smooth them out as best as you can).
  6. Trim down the edges of the pie crust leaving about 1/2 an inch of excess dough. Fold the excess dough underneath and crimp the edges.
  7. Fill and bake as desired.
  8. To Pre-Bake the Crust without Filling:
  9. Preheat oven to 375 and prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork. Line the crust bottom with coffee filters or parchment paper and fill with a single layer of dried beans. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pie crust begins to change color around the edges. Remove the coffee filter or parchment paper and the beans. Bake for an additional 5-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and dried out. Cool completely before filling.

This 14” Pie Crust Bag is ideal for rolling out perfectly round pie crusts. I have one that a friend gifted me and absolutely love it!

This crust performs better if rolled out immediately following the dough’s 15 minute chill time. If it is refrigerated for a longer period of time it tends to dry out and can be difficult to work with. If you have to refrigerate the dough for longer (like overnight), make it just a tad wetter than normal (But not too wet! Just remember, you can always add more liquid, but you can’t take it back out once it’s mixed in). Dough that is refrigerated for a longer period of time must rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to rolling.

Temperature, altitude and humidity will affect pie crust dough. If you find the crust difficult to roll out and you think it’s too dry, simply throw it in a food processor, add 1 tablespoon of cold water, and pulse 3-5 times. Check the dough. If you think it will hold together and roll out properly – great! If not, continue to add more cold water, tablespoon by tablespoon until the dough comes back together.

Now, how ’bout a slice of Gluten & Dairy Free Maple Pumpkin Pie?!

DSC_0950 (Small)

Or maybe Mom’s Amazing Gluten Free & Vegan Apple Pie?

Mom's Apple Pie Allergy Free Alaska

All my love,
Megan (with a long E)

This post may contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me maintain this website. Thank you for your support in this way!

This recipe is linked to Make Your Own MondayTeach Me TuesdayFat TuesdaySlightly Indulgent Tuesday, Gluten Free WednesdaysAllergy Free WednesdayFrugal Day Sustainable WaysThank Your Body ThursdayTasty TraditionsFull Plate ThursdaySimple Lives Thursday and Pennywise PlatterGluten Free FridaysSaturday Night Fever, and Wellness Weekend

Comments

• Maria says

Well…I just HAD TO write today…this is THE MOST AWESOME GF pie crust I have made in the year-and-a-half since I was diagnosed with celiac. I absolutely love to bake and the most difficult thing for me has been finding substitutes for my fave recipes and my Italian family traditional recipes. Today, I made this crust for a pecan pie. It ROLLED OUT (HOORAY!) beautifully and, most of all, it tastes delish! It is flaky and browned beautifully. Just so you all know, I made some substitutions, minor ones. I ran out of millet flour, so I used more brown rice flour instead of the millet. I also added 2 tsp of sugar and a few sprinkles of cinnamon to the dry ingredients of the crust, just to add a tad of cinnamon – sweetness and flavor to the crust and just because we like it! Both subs worked perfectly. Oh, and I used organic, unsalted butter instead of the shortening, which I also ran out of after my holiday baking. All my other ingredients were organic, too. THANK YOU, Megan, for creating a recipe that allows me to roll out a great crust and to be able to serve a crust that EVERYONE, GF or not, will love!

Hi Maria,
        What a wonderful review – you really know how to make a girl feel special! ;) Very glad you enjoyed the pie crust and that it turned out beautifully for you! And thank you for sharing all of your substitution results with us! I’m sure they will be helpful to others! :)

Megan,

You are a GF baking genius! Seriously. This pie crust looks just beautiful. I can’t believe it. I am sharing a dairy free pumpkin pie soon and I’ve been messing around with pie crusts and nothing has been worth sharing. I am just going to use your crust!! I have to say, i use all those GF flours and have all of those on hand (and all the other ingredients). I make my son’s snacks for preschool (as many of snacks provided are wheat, dairy, and sugar heavy). Tomorrow they are having pigs in a blanket. I was feeling sort of anxious about what sort of crust I could use as a blanket, and I am going to make your crust in the morning for the “pigs” and bake them before his afternoon preschool. Thank you, thank you my friend. You rock!!

–Am

2. Julianne says

I love your story about the inscription on the jewelry box! This sounds like a story right out of my family. My husband used to say he had two favorite kinds of pie – hot and cold! Now he says he only likes one kind – round!!

Thank your for your recipe.

Cannot wait to try this. I’ve been looking for a gluten free pie crust recipe and didn’t even have to look for this, it just showed up in my FB feed. ;)

This is beautiful! I used to make pie crusts and this is one I will definitely try, it looks flaky. Thank you for the recipe.

BTW, I meant to comment on your coconut milk whipped cream with your pumpkin pie recipe post. My husband has missed whipped cream, and this looked so rich like dairy whipped dream. I’ve tried a soy whipped cream, and it was only okay. This coconut whipped cream appears to fit the bill for pie. Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Blessings,

Joanne

Hi Joanne,
      Thank you so much! I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of the crust once you make it!

Oh good – I’m glad the coconut whipped cream tidbit was helpful. It’s so easy to make, and yes, you’re right, it’s very rich and creamy. ;)
      Hugs!!

My friend was just asking me for a GF pie crust recipe that I loved and I didn’t have one yet I could recommend fully. I just sent this recipe to her…and I will be using this before and for Thanksgiving! Both of us are thrilled. Thanks dear!

• Maria says

I do apologize for posting twice. I wasn’t sure if you had seen the first posting, and it was important to me that you did. I know you work very hard on fine-tuning recipes, and I was so grateful to have found this one in particular that I wantednto be sure you knew! It meant a lot to me to be able to make a nice pastry crust again! Thanks for your nice reply!

Maria :o)

Oh no apology needed – I’m glad you did! I remember reading your comment, but I thought I responded – but after searching for my response, I couldn’t find it anywhere! So I don’t know what happened. I’m sorry it got lost in blog land!

VERY happy this recipe is what you hoped it would be! It really makes my day when I hear comments such as yours. ;) Thank you for blessing me with your words!
          xo

That’s one gorgeous pie crust, Megan! Thanks for all your hard work on this recipe for us. I, too, love the opening of your post. A jewelry box like that would probably not even be made today, but I truly love it! I do believe that good pies help keep a marriage sweet. ;-) I like Julianne’s husband’s comment, too. We do LOVE our pies every which way in our family. :-)

Thank you, Shirley! It’s such an odd jewelry box too – it’s wooden. Not exactly the prettiest thing, but I love it… and I love the meaning behind it. :) Pie really should be its own food group, shouldn’t it?! HA!

Did someone say pie?!!
      xoxo,
      M

7. Judy B says

Megan (with a long E), you have almost brought me to tears! After going GF a couple of years ago I had given up on the idea of ever having a slice of my Mom’s apple pie with a flaky crust ever again. As I approach a big milestone birthday next month, I’m going to ask my Mom to make me her pie with this crust. What a glorious gift you have given us!!! Thank you for everything you do :)

Judy,
      I can’t thank you enough for your sweet words! They mean so much to me, and to know that you might be able to have your mom’s apple pie again is just wonderful! Happy Early Birthday to you! I hope this crust lives up to your and your mom’s expectations. Please let me know what you think of it! ;)
      Love from Alaska!

Thank you for this! I have people who are allergic to tree nuts and it makes finding gluten free baked goods recipes hard. We shared this with our FB readers at homesteadlady.com.

9. Jessica says

This sounds like a great crust. I cannot wait to try it. Is this crust OK to use in a savory dish? My husband loves pot pies.

That is a beautiful pie crust, it looks perfect! Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

Can’t wait to try this! I had a perfect recipe, but it had chickpea flour which my son seems to be sensitive to :-( It’s not so perfect anymore… I have high hopes for this one!

Megan,
    Your crust looks beautiful. Pie crust has always been a hit and miss for me. It usually turns out flakey but rolling it out is a feat in itself. I do not have palm shortening so I was wondering if veg shortening or butter would work or even a little of both? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for the wonderful recipes,
    Tracee

I am looking for a gluten free pie crust but allergic to corn and its close cousin sorghum. any suggestions what to sub for the sorghum flour?

Hi Deb,
      You could try replacing it with more brown rice flour, although I haven’t tried it myself, so I’m not sure what or if there would be any texture/taste differences.

14. sabrina says

This looks so good….been looking for a GF pie crust…so glad it can be used for both sweet and savoury recipes.
    Just wondering if you have any suggestion for substituting palm shortening…coconut oil perhaps? Thanks so much.

Hi Sabrina,
      I don’t recommend substituting anything for the palm shortening, simply because it’s the back bone of this crust recipe. It adds to the flakiness of the crust and also gives it a butter-like flavor. If you did substitute coconut oil, I think you would end up with a workable dough, but it definitely wouldn’t produce the same results (and might actually burn more easily).

15. Julie says

Thank goodness. A wonderful-sounding recipe without almond flour. Thank you! Can’t wait to buy the flours and try this.

Oh this recipe turned out so lovely for me. I had tried a different pie crust recipe earlier in the day and it was so so disappointing and having yours turn out perfectly was such a relief. I used vegetable shortening instead of palm shortening and it turned out still. Thanks!

What a wonderful comment to wake up to! Thank you for making my morning (although I’m very sorry to hear about the first pie crust – how disappointing)! I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe! ;)

Making your crust again today. My son is having apple pie at school and I am making him little mini apple turnovers. Your crust is amazing. So easy to work with and comes together so nicely. I used super fine rice flower for rolling this time with great results (I can tell a different in using a fine flour vs a regular flour). Anyway, just stopping by to say hello and thank you again for this great recipe.

18. Marcy says

Megan,
    I do not have arrowroot starch on hand, & live far from as tore that carries it. Would tapioca starch be a good replacement? Should I even try it?

Hi Marcy,
      Arrowroot is definitely best. Tapioca starch will change the texture; it can sometimes produce a slightly gummy consistency in baked goods, which is what it will do in this crust if you use it. That said, if you use tapioca the crust will still be delicious and easy to work with, it just won’t be as good (and flaky) as what it could be.
      ;) Hope that helps!

19. Kim says

This looks amazing and I am so excited to try it! My sweet 6-yr old is allergic to dairy and millet (of all things). Do you have a recommendation for a decent substitute for the millet flour? I am willing to experiment!

Hi Kim,
      I would substitute the 1/3 cup millet flour with half sorghum flour and half brown rice flour. If you try it, will you please come back here and share the results? Thanks!
      ;) Megan

20. Justina Blackburn says

Megan, I made this crust last night for apple pie. I spent hours upon hours yesterday looking for an amazing gluten free pie crust recipe and stumbled upon your site.

After reading the description and comments I decided yours looked the best.

It really is so amazing! I had to use vegetable shortening (couldn’t find palm shortening) and it turned out delicious. I am just so grateful to you!

Last month I attempted a pie crust for some meat pies. The consistency was more cracker like (which worked for the meat pies) – but, I knew it wasn’t going to work for sweet pies.

Your recipe was simple… in fact I had it committed to memory after the first attempt.

I also have a dough bag… they are amazing.

Anyway, thank you once again!

Justina,
      You are so very, very welcome! ;) It makes me happy to know you enjoyed the pie crust! And thank you for letting everyone know you had success substituting vegetable shortening instead of palm shortening. A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

21. Susan Alexander says

Ok, here goes, going to try this today with coconut oil (don’t have palm shortening!) for some mini apple pies. All in all an experiment. I will report back with the results, just know that I am no expert pie maker so if it fails, it may be me as much as the coconut oil. :p

• Susan Alexander says

So my feedback – they turned out great! Dough was a tad tricky to work with but I’m no pie genius so that may be normal. The parchment paper underneath was SO helpful – allowed me to roll them up onto my hand to put in the muffin tin. There was enough dough for 6 mini pies with cross-hatch on top. :)

22. Caralyn says

Megan- I have made this pie crust several times now, trying to perfect my gluten free/dairy free Thanksgiving pies. It really is good and I am sure no one will know it is gluten free. My only wish was that it had a little more flavor. I made it again this morning, using 1/4 cup palm shortening and 1/4 cup earth balance (dairy free butter). I was really happy it worked, and I think it has that little bit of flavor I was looking for. Thank you so much for this recipe!

That’s great, Caralyn – and you’re welcome! I can’t have Earth Balance, but I can see how that would add a little bit more flavor. Thanks for letting us all know the results, as I’m sure others would also like to try this!
      ;) Megan

• Maria says

Hi Caralyn,

I was making pecan pie, and I added a sprinkling of cinnamon and about one tablespoon of sugar to the pie crust dough recipe. I always add extra vanilla extract, too, just because I like it!

These additions added that little bit of extra flavor!

Maria

23. Julia says

Hi Megan! Thank you so very much for this recipe. Before becoming gluten-sensitive, I used to make THE BEST farm girl flakey pie crust. Lard and the whole ten yards! When I went GF, I found I can’t even bake with gluten or I get reactions. So I have been hunting and trying recipes that ended up like a tasteless cracker for years until I found this recipe. I made it for Thanksgiving and my husband didn’t know the difference. I found it was excellent but not flakey as my old lard/gluten recipe. Is this just the case with being GF? Or did I fail to execute it properly? Your photos look far more flakey than mine was. But best of all, my husband thought it tasted excellent! Oh, and how do you make those graceful curves on the crust. So pretty! Thanks again Megan, I am reclaiming some of the fun of my former life.

Hi Julie!
      You are very welcome! I’m so glad you and your husband enjoyed the crust! ;)

2 thoughts re: your crust not being as flaky as mine pictured- the dough may have been a touch too wet, or it was overworked. Even though this crust is GF, it’s very flaky. The next time you make this recipe, I’d recommend making sure your lard and water are very cold, and then try to mix/work the crust dough as little as possible.

And thank you! The pie crust curves have taken me some time to perfect! ;) I roll excess dough under and then use my fingers to make the curves. Hopefully one of these days I’ll be able to post a video showing everyone how. It’s hard for me to explain it in written form! Thanks again!

24. Kim says

So I made the pie crust omitting the millet and splitting the 1/3 cup into half brown rice flour and half sorghum. It was a huge hit! I had a hard time working with the dough(it kept splitting), but it could also be because I am not used to working with gluten-free dough. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

Hi Kim!
      Very glad to hear the adjustments worked for you! You might try adding a bit more water next time. The dough shouldn’t split and should be relatively easy to work with. Adding more water should help! ;)

Just came across your post, GF baking is SO difficult! I would love to try your recipe, however not sure I could find these ingredients in Scotland. I was wondering if anyone else from Scotland had managed to get those particular ingredients and had fed the information back? I will try and search them out, but if you or anyone who uses this site can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks. Audrey :)

Hi Audrey,
      Wow – Scotland! That’s a long ways from Alaska! Unfortunately, no I haven’t heard of anyone purchasing ingredients from Scotland, but would Amazon.com be an option?

• Maria says

Hi Megan and Audrey,

Since I am on Long Island in NY, I am fortunate that so many stores carry GF ingredients for baking. However, sometimes I still cannot find what I need.

AMAZON has been a go-to source for me! From them, I have ordered organic sorghum flour, organic arrowroot starch, organic potato starch, and they always have any Bob’s Red Mill products that you cannot find elsewhere. Even when Bob’s products are not organic, they are responsibly grown in either Oregon or California, usually. I also e-mail a company if I need more info on a particular product.

Another good source for GF ingredients is http://www.vitacost.com.

As you can see, I try to do as much organic as possible. When I cannot, I do the best I can without the product having preservatives, food colorings, GMOs, etc.

Maria

26. Anonymous says

Hi all,

Golly!!! Just made this crust for French-Canadian tourtiere (which in English translates to Meat Pie), and it was good. I had another go to recipe that I had used in the past, and it failed the last time I made it. So I wanted to try a different one to see how it would work. Success!!! Yay!!! I highly recommend this recipe. 4.5 out of 5 stars (Would have given it a complete 5 had my husband not said that it was just a touch too greasy).

One note, it did fall apart though, but don’t most pies do that anyway???

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I’m so happy to hear it was a success and that you enjoyed it! ;) The crust shouldn’t fall apart, I would recommend adding just a bit more water next time (start with 1 teaspoon and work your way up from there). If the crust is too dry it will start to crumble. Hope that helps!

27. Karen says

I was wondering if you ever froze a pie using this pie crust? A friend would like me to make her a pie that she can freeze and then just take out a bake at her convenience. I’ve read other GF pie crust recipes that said they did not freeze well and I was hoping this one might be different. It certainly looks like a delicious recipe.

Hi Karen,
      I’ve never tried freezing it so I don’t really know how it would do. You might have to experiment! ;)

28. Shana says

Thanks for this recipe! I love making pie, and it’s nice to find an option that’s based on whole grain flours AND also doesn’t require prebaking. I actually had most of the ingredients on hand, which was delightful. Thank you for coming up with a recipe that’s so straightforward and far less fiddly than many recipes I’ve tried. I made a blackberry pie with the crust tonight and was impressed by how sturdy it was, especially given a rather liquidy filling. I did find the crust to be a bit tough, rather than tender. I used shortening rather than palm oil. Perhaps that made a difference?

Hi Shana,
      You’re welcome! Re: Your question… I have a couple thoughts for you-
      I don’t know if your use of shortening made a difference or not, as I haven’t made the crust using shortening. After making this several more times though, I think overall, this crust errs on the side of tough vs. tender. And that’s because there’s no gluten in it. That said, the crust also has a tendency to become tough if the dough is overworked.
      Hope that helps!

29. Kirsten says

Your recipe as always is amazing and I am so grateful for you and the recipes you create! I felt like I lost a part of myself when I started eating gluten free because I couldn’t bake very well anymore. It’s so nice to be able to make delicious recipes again and be proud of what I make because it actually tastes good again!

I just wanted to write how much I LOVE this pie crust! I’ve always failed magnificently at making pie crust, even when I worked with gluten, so having this turn out every time is a God send! Thanks again for one awesome recipe!

Oh, and it makes great pocket pies too! I love making them (I usually get about three out of a batch of dough, so they are about the size of a tart), filling them with some home made jam or home canned fruit. Awesome!

Megan,
    This pie crust turned out beautifully! I’ve made GF pie crust lots of times, but I knew that I needed to use different flours because my blend has too much starch for pie crust and it always ends up being “squeaky.” I’m sold on your recipe! I made a few changes based on what I had and didn’t have in my kitchen but the results are the tenderest and flakiest gluten-free pie crust I’ve ever had!

32. Sacha says

THANK YOU!!!! My extremely amazing mother-in-law made this pie crust for me recently. Every year my husband asks for his mom’s amazing cherry pie for his birthday. So, she made me a GF one with your recipe. We were both impressed! And I must say I am SO grateful you are willing to share this recipe. It is so comforting to be able to have pie after being diagnosed with Celiac’s this August. Thanksgiving and Christmas are SAVED forever, THANKS TO YOU.

33. Robyn says

I just made this tonight and am so impressed with this crust–you really cannot even tell it is gluten-free! I used crisco since that’s all I could find, but otherwise followed the recipe. The edges of the pie were highly coveted morsels; delicately flaky and crispy, just like with regular pie crusts. A big win! I even had enough dough left over to make a loose lattice. Thanks for this lovely recipe–I will be sharing!

I look forward to trying this recipe, but I am trying to make it on a budget. What would happen if I omitted the xanthan gum? Could I sub glucomannan powder or arrowroot powder for it? I already have those in my pantry. Any thoughts?

Hi Allison,
      Arrowroot powder will not do as a substitute, and I’ve never worked with glucomannan powder, so I’m not sure how to inform you about that.
      Xanthan gum is the binder that holds everything together in this recipe – without it, the recipe will fail.