These scrumptious gluten free brownies are one of the best chocolate treats you will ever eat. They are oh-so-fudgy with an irresistible crunchy top layer. They are soft and chewy, and completely dairy-free (though you’d never know it!).
Over 10 years ago (yes, you totally read that right!) I created this rich and fudgy brownies recipe for my family for Valentine’s Day. Not only did my family absolutely love them, but since that day, many gluten-eaters have heralded these brownies as “THE BEST brownies they have ever had!”
Certainly high praise for any gluten-free recipe!
A good brownie recipe shouldn’t be complicated, nor contain a whole lot of excess ingredients. These gluten-free dairy-free brownies are simple and delicious. The recipe comes together quickly, so quickly that my children make them often!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Olive Oil– To keep this recipe dairy-free, I use olive oil instead of butter. Melted coconut oil should work as a substitute (just melt it first), or any light tasting oil (like vegetable oil).
- Organic Cane Sugar and Organic Brown Sugar– Non organic will also work just fine in this recipe.
- Eggs– Since this recipe calls for 4 eggs, there are no substitutions. If you are egg-free, try this vegan gluten-free brownie recipe instead.
- Xanthan Gum– Guar gum would probably work as a substitute if needed.
- Cocoa Powder– Cocoa powder is what gives this recipe it’s sinfully rich chocolate flavor. There are no substitutes.
- Brown Rice Flour, Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Starch– This recipe has only been tested using these gluten-free flours/starches. A gluten-free all purpose blend may work, but I have not tested any in this recipe. If you decided to substitute a gluten-free all purpose blend, eliminate the xanthan gum I call for in my recipe if your blend already contains it.
How to Make Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Brownies
- Blend together the oil and sugars.
- Beat in the vanilla and eggs.
- Mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Pour into the baking pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.
Other Helpful Recipe Notes:
Baking time for this recipe can vary greatly, depending on what type of pan you use.
A metal baking pan will result in a shorter baking time, while a glass pan may result in a longer one (which is why I call for a 25-35 minute baking time). Start with a baking time of 25 minutes, and then add more as needed. The brownies will be done when a toothpick, when inserted into the middle of the brownies, comes out mostly clean (a few loose crumbs are okay).
Can I reduce the amount of sugar in this gluten-free brownie recipe?
I have actually tried, several times, to reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe. I’ve also tried to substitute coconut sugar instead. Neither change worked well, so I don’t recommend it.
I hope your family loves these gf brownies as much as we do!
Gluten-Free Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 350° (F) and grease a 9x13" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the olive oil, organic cane sugar, and organic brown sugar.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and the eggs.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the sea salt, xanthan gum, unsweetened cocoa powder, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca starch.
- Add the dry ingredients to the sugar/egg mixture, and mix until blended (a few small lumps are okay).
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake for 25-35 minutes.
Baking time for this recipe can vary greatly, depending on what type of pan you use. A metal baking pan will result in a shorter baking time, while a glass pan may result in a longer one (which is why I call for a 25-35 minute baking time). Start with a baking time of 25 minutes, and then add more as needed. The brownies will be done when a toothpick, when inserted into the middle of the brownies, comes out mostly clean (a few loose crumbs are okay).
Can I reduce the amount of sugar in this gluten-free brownie recipe? I have actually tried, several times, to reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe. I've also tried to substitute coconut sugar instead. Neither change worked well, so I don't recommend it.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
KitchenAid KSM155GBSR 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series with Glass Bowl - Sugar Pearl Silver
Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar, Fair Trade, Non GMO & Gluten Free, 10 Pound (Pack of 1)
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Xanthan Gum, 8-ounce
Anthony's Organic Tapioca Flour Starch, 2.5lbs, Gluten Free & Non GMO
Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Sorghum, 24 Oz (Pack of 4)
Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour, 24 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Pure Vanilla Extract, Certified Organic
Anthony's Organic Cocoa Powder, 2lbs, Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free & Non GMO
*Did you make these gluten-free brownies? Please give it a star rating and leave an honest review below!
Don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @allergyfreeak and #allergyfreealaska with your best gluten-free brownies pics!