This fragrant Chai Spiced Gluten-Free Granola will be a delicious new addition to your breakfast or snack routine. Enjoy it plain, on top of dairy-free yogurt, or with fruit. Sweetened with honey and baked with coconut oil, you can rest assured this is a healthy homemade granola the whole family will love.
Sunday afternoon I spent several hours prepping food for the upcoming week. I made hard boiled eggs for an easy protein-rich breakfast or snack, gluten-free banana bread, and this flavorful chai spiced gluten-free granola.
The aroma wafting from my kitchen as this granola bakes is undeniably pleasing. It’s very fragrant. My girls enjoy it for breakfast in the morning with their favorite dairy-free milk as a granola cereal.
Healthy Granola Ingredients
Unlike store bought granola, that’s normally made with refined sugars and unhealthy fats, this easy homemade granola is much healthier than store bought. You can feel good about feeding it to your family knowing exactly what’s in it!
I like to use gluten-free rolled oats (also called “old fashioned” oats) in this recipe, not gluten-free quick-cooking (although, you can use quick cooking if that’s all you have on hand). Quick-cooking oats are generally thinner and cut into smaller pieces; rolled oats are heartier and hold their shape when cooked.
Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
Coconut adds such a irresistible toasted nuttiness to this recipe! To keep this recipe low in sugar, I use unsweetened coconut.
You can use whatever nuts and seeds you have on hand.
We love the chai spice blend in this gluten-free granola recipe (it’s so fragrant!); however, if you’re looking for a plain recipe, you certainly can omit the spices.
Unrefined coconut oil keeps this gluten-free granola blissfully crisp and tasty.
I like to use honey in my gluten-free granola, but maple syrup would be wonderful too (especially if you need a vegan option). The wonderful thing about using honey or maple syrup is that they add additional flavor to your granola.
Raisins, dried cranberries, or dried tart cherries work best with the chia spiced flavors in this recipe.
What To Eat With Granola
- Dairy-free yogurt (we like this Instant Pot Coconut Yogurt) or kefir
- Fresh or frozen fruit
- Smoothie bowls (like this easy smoothie bowl recipe)
- Dairy-free milks, such as almond milk, coconut milk beverage, hemp milk, etc.
I hope you enjoy this gf granola as much as my family does!
Gluten-Free Granola Recipe:
- 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ½ cups chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, cashews, walnuts, etc.)
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, optional
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup honey (or pure maple syrup for vegan)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins, dried tart cherries, or dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees (F) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free rolled oats, unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped nuts, raw sunflower seeds, palm sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the coconut oil and honey. Mix until the ingredients are just melted. Add the vanilla extract.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture into the dry ingredients and stir together until just blended.
- Add in the raisins.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring once during the halfway mark, until the granola is golden brown and fragrant. Cool completely on the baking sheet, and then break into small pieces.
The granola may be sweet enough for you without the addition of the coconut sugar, sweetened to taste.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Reynolds Kitchens Non-Stick Parchment Paper - 60 Square Feet
MADHAVA Organic Coconut Sugar
Let's Do...Organic Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut, 8 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Nutiva Organic, Steam Refined Coconut Oil from non-GMO, Sustainably Farmed Coconuts, 15 Fluid Ounces
GF Harvest PureOats Gluten Free Rolled Oats, 41 Ounce
Don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @allergyfreeak and #allergyfreealaska with your homemade gluten-free granola pics!