Gluten Free & Vegan Spinach Tortillas

I have such a big treat for you today! Gluten free tortillas, that are not only egg free and vegan, but nut free, too!

Woo-hoo!

We have used these Gluten Free & Vegan Spinach Tortillas for tacos, tuna wraps, wraps with lunch meat and veggies, breakfast wraps, etc. They stand up really well to whatever you decide to fill them with and taste amazing!

I use a tortilla press to make my tortillas. I press the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper and then I use a rolling pin to roll the dough out thinner (to about the thickness of a nickel). That’s my secret to making my tortillas look so round and uniform. This dough is very easy to work with because the powdered psyllium husk makes them incredibly pliable. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised how easy they are to form.

That beautiful red tortilla warmer you see in the picture? I just got it from our local kitchen store and I LOVE it. Not only is the color bright and bold, but I especially like that it’s stoneware vs. plastic. And it fits these tortillas and my Grain Free & Vegan Soft Tortillas perfectly. You can purchase the same one here on Amazon

What will you fill your Gluten Free & Vegan Spinach Tortillas with first?

All my love,

Gluten Free and Vegan Spinach Tortillas from Allergy Free Alaska

Gluten Free & Vegan Spinach Tortillas

Yield: 8 seven-inch tortillas

Gluten Free & Vegan Spinach Tortillas

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, tapioca starch, powdered psyllium husk, baking powder, and sea salt.
  2. Mix in the olive oil.
  3. In a blender, combine 3/4 cup of hot water with the spinach and blend on high until smooth.
  4. Slowly pour the spinach puree into the dry ingredients and stir.
  5. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes to allow the psyllium husk powder time to expand and absorb the liquid.
  6. If the dough is still dry and crumbly, continue to add additional warm water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough easily comes together to form a workable dough.
  7. Form the dough into 8 even balls and place them back in the mixing bowl; cover with a damp paper towel to prevent the dough from drying out.
  8. Preheat a lightly oiled 10-12 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
  9. Roll a dough ball between 2 pieces of parchment paper into a round tortilla, as thin as you can get it (about the thickness of a nickel), about 7 inches in diameter.
  10. Peel off the top layer of parchment paper and place the tortilla, dough side down, into the hot skillet. Within a few seconds, you should be able to gently peel off the remaining piece of parchment paper. Cook until bubbly and golden. Flip and continue to cook until bubbly and golden on the other side (Be careful not to overcook. If the tortillas start to burn, beyond normal charring like you see in the picture, reduce heat to medium.).
  11. Place the cooked tortillas on a plate between layers of paper towels. Some of the tortillas might come out of the skillet somewhat crispy, but as they sit on top of each other, between the layers of paper towels, the warm moist heat makes them pliable and soft.
  12. Continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

Don’t use a kitchen towel in place of paper towels. As the cooked tortillas rest between the layers of paper towels, some of the green coloring from the spinach seeps out and will permanently stain fabric.

There is a difference between whole psyllium husk and psyllium husk powder. Please make sure you use psyllium husk powder in this recipe.

The key to these tortillas remaining pliable is moist warm heat. After refrigerating, simply warm in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to "revive" its pliability.

Q: How do these freeze? A: I don't know. I haven't tried it yet, so if you do, please come back and leave a comment so we'll all know the results!

This recipe is linked to, Marvelous Mondays, Fat TuesdayAllergy Free WednesdayGluten Free Wednesdays, Waste Not Want Not Wednesdays, Frugal Day Sustainable Ways, Thank Your Body Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fight Back Friday and Gluten Free Fridays.

This post may contain affiliate links which I may receive a small commission from (without any additional costs to you). The money earned from these commissions helps me maintain this website. Thank you for your support in this way!

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook134Share on Google+1Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon3Pin on Pinterest1,263Tweet about this on Twitter6

Comments

These look awesome! So excited since they are nut free. I’ve also had a bottle of psyllium powder just waiting for a great recipe to come along.

2. Joanne Peterson says

What lovely tortillas. The red tortilla warmer is such a warm, cheerful color and the two colors are striking together.

Joanne

Thank you, Joanne! ;) At first I was hesitant to use the red warmer, simple because red + green = Christmas, but I think it actually worked out well. ;)

3. Holly says

It is so nice to see psyllium used instead of xanthan gum (very intolerant)! This is on my must try list! I have really been missing spinach tortilla wraps. Thanks!

Hey Holly,
      Yeah, I’ve been steadily trying to weed xanthan gum out – and the psyllium works really well in this recipe. ;) I hope you enjoy them!
      :) Megan

I am so excited to try these! I have ordered some psyllium husk powder and as soon as it comes I’m going to whip some up! Thank you!

5. Janet says

Hi Megan
    Can you tell me if you tried freezing them? And, if you can pack them for a lunch for later in day – if they hold up or should they be eaten as soon as they are made. I haven’t come across psyllium husk powder before. Do you think you could grind the regular stuff to a powder? Thanks for the recipe, I really want to try this one out.

Hi Janet,
      I have this above at the end of the recipe (but it kind of gets lost): “Q: How do these freeze? A: I don’t know. I haven’t tried it yet, so if you do, please come back and leave a comment so we’ll all know the results!”

The tortillas do NOT need to be eaten right away, but are best if eaten within 3 days. After they are refrigerated they do firm up a bit, but it’s nothing a quick 10-20 second zap in the microwave won’t soften up to return its pliability.

Re: whole psyllium husk, you can grind it in a coffee grinder to powder it, but just try to get it as fine as possible.
      You’re so welcome! I have no doubt you will love these!
      ;) Megan

• Janet says

Well, I just ate my first defrosted wrap and they held up fine. I tried freezing corn tortillas but that was a bust.
        If you are interested:
        Total Cals – 1063 (53)
        Carbs – 234 (11.7)
        Sugar 20 (.1)
        Protein – 16 (.8)
        Fat – 7 (.5)
        I ended up with 20 shells using a small tortilla press so bracket count is individual tortilla. They are also pretty high in vitamin A, with some iron and calcium.

MEGAN. THESE ARE SO GOOD. :) :) :) Thank you thank you thank you. I love them!!!!
    Today I ate them with chipolte mayo, white beans, kale and green onion. So GOOD. :)

Chelsea, You are SO welcome! I’m happy you loved them! ;) And your filling idea sounds amazing… especially with the chipolte mayo. Thank you for letting me know you tried them and for commenting!
      :) Megan

7. Michele waters says

Hi Megan!
    Your recipes are incredible! Thank you for sharing them!
    I was wondering what your thoughts on subbing arrowroot powder for tapioca? My son has problems with tapioca…. I will probably just give it a try but thought I would see your thoughts as well!!
    Thanks again!!

Hi Michele,
      Thank you for the glowing compliment! It’s so appreciated. :)

I haven’t tried using arrowroot starch as a replacement for the tapioca starch in this recipe, but I’m confident it would work just fine. ;)

Thanks for stopping by!