Protein Packed Monster Breakfast Cookies (grain, egg & nut free)

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook1,171Share on Google+4Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest2,860Tweet about this on Twitter16

go-ahead-its-gluten-free

Over the last several weeks, many of you have asked for grain free recipes that do not contain eggs or nuts. So when Shirley of gfe – gluten free easily and All Gluten Free Desserts posted the latest theme for Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten Free (When You’re Grain Free and Feel Like A Nut, But Don’t Eat Peanuts Or Tree Nuts), I knew it was time to share this recipe with you.

DSC_0202 (Small)

These Protein Packed Monster Breakfast Cookies get their protein from SunButter, coconut, flax and hemp seeds. Hemp seeds have long been regarded for their nutritional value and contain 20 amino acids, including the 9 essential amino acids. I like adding hemp seeds to baked goods, smoothies, and salads for a nutritional boost.

These cookies have a “nutty” flavor and are very filling. Once they cool from being in the oven, they are perfectly crisp on the outside, but nice and chewy on the inside. Just the way I like ‘um!

These are kid – and adult approved, making them the perfect cookie for a quick breakfast or snack on the go!

DSC_0150 (Small)

DSC_0113 (Small)

All set to bake in the oven

Protein Packed Monster Breakfast Cookies
Yields 16-20 cookies

1 tablespoon flax meal
3 tablespoons boiling water
1 cup SunButter Creamy Sunflower Seed Spread
1/3 cup palm sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2/3 cup unsweetened & finely shredded coconut (I use Let’s Do Organic)
1/3 cup hemp seed
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (or cacao nibs or carob chips)
1/3 cup desired seeds or raisins, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
  2. Stir together the flax meal and boiling water; set aside and allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Using an electric mixer, cream the SunButter, palm sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla.  Beat in the baking soda and sea salt, and then stir in all other remaining ingredients (don’t forget the flax meal slurry!).
  4. Roll the dough by heaping tablespoon into balls and place them on the baking sheets spaced about 3 inches apart.  Using the tips of your fingers, gently flatten the dough until it is about 1/2 an inch thick.
  5. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cookies are turning golden brown at the edges.  Leave cookies on the baking sheet to cool.
  6. When the cookies are cool and are firm, transfer them to plate lined with a paper towel (this will help draw out the excess oils from the SunButter. Store the cookies uncovered out on the counter (so the air can get to them). They will crunch up on the outside, but still remain soft on the inside. If you store them in an airtight container, they will retain too much moisture and crumble easily.

Megan’s Recipe Notes:
If you can tolerate nuts, you can substitute almond or cashew butter for the SunButter.

If you can tolerate eggs, 1 egg can be used in place of the flax meal slurry.

Thanks to one of my recipe testers, I now know hemp seeds are not permitted in all parts of the world (thanks for the tip, Helen!). If you are one of those who does not have access to hemp seeds, try replacing them with roughly chopped sunflower seeds.

All my love,

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

DSC_0280 (Small)

This post contains affiliate links. Allergy Free Alaska, LLC receives a small commission from the sales made through these links. However, we only promote affiliate products we use or support wholeheartedly. The commissions received through your purchases help maintain this site. Thank you for your support!

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Wellness Weekend, Allergy Free Wednesdays, and Fight Back Friday.

Comments

1. Laureen Fox says

These look great Megan, can’t wait to try them and thanks for the substitution tips. I picked up a few jars of Cashew Butter that was on sale recently and I don’t do flax but I’m ok with eggs :)

Hi Laureen,
      Thank you! And you’re welcome. I can’t wait to hear how you like them!

2. Shirley @ gfe & AGFD says

These cookies look absolutely sensational, Megan! I am totally thrilled that you have shared them as a submission for this month’s Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten Free event! :-)

Thanks so much, dear! xo,

Thank you, Shirley! And thanks for hosting the GAHIGF event this month. I’m happy to participate!

3. Jenn says

I wonder if I can sub out finely diced figs for the coconut (I can’t tolerate coconut, plus I have never liked the taste)? Or maybe just replace with raisins. Can’t wait to try it!

Hi Jenn,
      The coconut is such an important part of this cookie, because it sucks up all the moisture/natural oils from the SunButter and helps bind everything together. I haven’t tried replacing it with figs, but my hunch is that it wouldn’t work. :( Can you do grains? Again, I haven’t tried it myself, but I’m wondering how gluten free oat flour would do as a replacement instead. Would that be something you could try?

4. Laura says

Monster cookies without an ounce of a bad ingredient…these look awesome Megan! I love using SunButter in my cookies and can’t wait to try these with the addition of flax and hemp seed. Your family is so lucky to have such a baking queen in the house!

Ha ha ha… I am definitely not a baking queen. I have lots of failure too. ;) Thanks, Laura!

5. Jennifer S @ Sterling Sweets says

I love cookies that you can eat any time of the day and not feel unhealthy. These are definitely on the must try list. Thanks so much for sharing!

I love them for that fact too, Jennifer! And my girls think I’m a rock star for letting them eat cookies in the morning! Please let me know how you like them!
      ;) Megan

Hi SuzySnowflake,
      I order mine online through Amazon.com or Vitacost.com; however, you should be able to find both at Natural Pantry or Sagaya.
      :) Megan

6. amber says

Megan, these are absolutely beautiful cookies!!! I have not been eating nuts at all, and replacing all almond flour with sunflower seed flour. So much easier for me to digest.

I really can’t wait to make these for my kiddos (and myself). Thank you for such a great recipe.

7. Lisa says

Oh! These are perfect for our teen who likes to grab something quick for an after-school snack that will hold him until dinner. Thinking I will use cacao nibs, dried currants and add some cinnamon…THANK YOU!!

8. Elizabeth H, blogger for SunButter says

Another winner from your kitchen! Of course I appreciate it since it includes SunButter, and since I blog for them I’m always looking for new recipes. But as a fellow mom, I’m eager to try these for the gaggle of kiddos at our house! Thanks for the continued inspiration.

9. Alicia G says

These look amazing! I cannot tell you how excited I am to find a breakfast bar type option that is GF, DF, egg free, and oat free! Hmmm….am-I-forgetting-something-free?

I ordered some palm sugar tonight on Amazon & already can’t wait until Wednesday when I can make these + the caramel sauce for the macchiato. Yummmmm.

I found your blog on Pinterest I think or a link off of a link on Pinterest or something like that. Love it so much! Very inspiring & I can’t wait to read through some more posts soon.

10. Kate {Eat, Recycle, Repeat} says

I’ve never used hemp seed before, but these look like a perfect way to introduce them to my diet!

11. Amy R says

As always, another delicious recipe! I made these with homemade sunflowerbutter, which is a little more gritty than Sunbutter, so they were a tad greasy (again, my bad, not your recipe) sooooo delicious! I can’t believe I havent made your donuts yet! :)

Hi Amy,
      :) Thanks for letting me know you tried them! I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed them! And they can be a tad greasy, but it really depends on what type of nut/seed butter you use and how oily it is. After I bake my cookies I lay them out on paper towels – it helps soak up some of the excess oils if there are any.
      Hugs!

I’m whipping up some homemade sunflower seed butter to make these cookies today!!!

So excited.

Thanks for such an amazing recipe.

Big hugs,
    –Am

• Mary says

How do you make sunflower seed butter? I make almond butter with roasted almonds and coconut and olive oil and honey, but haven’t tried sunflower seed butter yet. Do you roast the sunflower seeds? Would love to try it.

Hi Mary,
        You can make your own sunflower seed butter just like you would almond butter or another nut butter. :) And you can either use roasted sunflower seeds or raw ones, it just depends entirely on your preferences!
        :) Megan

Hi Sherry,
      Someone once told me they substituted something for the coconut and the recipe still turned out great. For the life of me I can’t remember what they used! I’ll keep thinking about it and come back and comment again if I remember (sorry)!

13. Mary says

These look great. I’ll have to try them and see if most of my kids will eat them. I have 9 and most of them will eat my gluten free foods and then I have some that won’t touch for anything. Thanks for the great recipe.

14. Shari W says

Hi Megan! These look so yummy! Dumb question: Are hemp seeds and hemp hearts the same thing? I have hemp hearts – and we >3 them! – but not hemp seeds. If they are interchangeable, that would be great.

Our nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free household is very excited to try these!

Thanks much!
    Shari

Hi Shari,
      Yes, hemp seeds and hemp hearts are the same thing – and no, that’s not a dumb question. It’s a great question!
      ;) Megan

15. Jenifer says

Megan, These look great. I’m trying to find things my two HS kids will eat and are still healthy. What are the nutritional facts (protein, calories, carbs, fats, etc) on these cookies??

Hi Jenifer,
      Sorry – I don’t know the nutritional facts on this particular recipe. If you needed them you could try typing the recipe into something like myfitnesspal or something similar. ;)

16. Cary says

About how many days will these stay good uncovered? Can I substitute the palm sugar for coconut sugar, cane sugar, sucanat, etc? I want to make these right now, lol and the only thing I don’t have is palm sugar. I think my husband is going to love these to have as a snack or quick breakfast. Thank you so much for this recipe.

Hi Cary,
      I’d leave them out uncovered for an overnight, but past that I’d place them in an airtight container. In our house I never worry about them because they get eaten up quickly! Palm sugar and coconut sugar are actually the same thing, so either will work out just fine. And you’re totally welcome! ;)

• Cary says

I made these this morning. I used an egg instead of the flax slurry, like you said could be substituted. I used half sunbutter and half almond butter, sucanat instead of palm sugar because that is what I had, and a dash of cinnamon. I did add the raisins like you suggested too. My husband and I both LOVED these cookies. I didn’t know palm sugar and coconut sugar were the same thing, so thank you for the info. I had never tried sunbutter until this morning. I bought some yesterday, just for this recipe. It is so YUMMY! Thanks again for this recipe. It is going to be added to the my special recipe keeper that only my favorite, must keep, recipes get added to. I know my husband was thrilled to have something for breakfast other than eggs and such. I served them with a sliced apple and sugar free and nitrate free bacon. YUM!

That’s wonderful, Cary! Very glad to hear you both enjoyed them, and that they made the special recipe keeper! ;) YAY!

17. Libbie says

Hi there! Is there something I can substitute for the shredded coconut? Or will it mess up the consistency if I just leave it out?

Thank yoU!