Delicious Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook524Share on Google+6Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest992Tweet about this on Twitter13

It’s springtime in Alaska, which ultimately means blizzard like conditions. I keep painting my toenails and wearing my flip flops around the house hoping it will improve the weather outside. No such luck. oh well… I tried! ;)

Outside may definitely still look like winter, but inside… inside it’s springtime full speed ahead!

DSC_0748 (Small)

DSC_0636 (Small)

I’m really excited to share this recipe with you! These healthy and Delicious Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins are heavenly. They are moist and flavorful, yet not too sweet or too oily. Perfect for a quick breakfast or snack, and they are 100% kid approved by the Ancheta girls.

Oh! And you can thank me later for the instant potpourri. These muffins will fill your home with the wonderful aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger while they are baking (and who doesn’t love that?).

DSC_0704 (Small)

This recipe is linked to Fat TuesdayAllergy Free Wednesday, Tasty Traditions, Full Plate Thursday, and Fight Back Friday.

Grain Free Carrot Cake Muffins

4 eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup apple sauce, at room temperature
1/3 cup runny honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, just melted
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the almond meal, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger, and sea salt.
  3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, apple sauce, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla.
  4. Carefully stir the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix until just combined. Fold in the grated carrots.
  5. Divide the dough into 15 paper lined muffin tins and then bake for 20 – 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
  6. Remove the muffins from the tins and place on metal racks to cool.

DSC_0760 (Small)

So what’s the weather like where you are?

Comments

1. AmityShay says

These look amazing I cannot wait to try!!!!!! Love love love. Will buy almond& coconut flour tomorrow! And share your lovely creation! Isn’t recipe writing, like giving birth through your soul, love it!

2. Vicky says

Wow! These look good Megan! Yum, yum, yum! I love carrot cakes and this is another to add to my collection of recipes! I will share later on my Afternoon tea FB page xo

3. Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry says

These muffins look divine Megan! We just finished three weeks of nonstop guests at our house. I hope I can get back to the kitchen now and start playing around with almond and coconut flours again soon. In the meantime, I am going to follow this recipe and whip me up some amazing carrot cake muffins. Thanks pretty lady for another fantastic recipe!

4. Debbie says

Thanks Megan!
    Can’t wait to try your recipe. I love coconut oil and flour and use them often!
    You asked about the weather here? In Wisconsin…Well even though it is spring…it sure feels like weather yet as we just experienced storm Helen and she was ice and rain! Lots of people were with out electricity for a major part of the day. We were one of the lucky ones!

5. Miz Helen says

Your Carrot Cake Muffins look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

6. RoseAG says

Ok, that owl mug is absolutely adorable! I gotta get one for me and my owl-obsessed girlfriend. Where did you find it? Do you know the company/brand?
    p.s. The carrot cake muffins would be totally yum with a cup of chia tea (in my very own owl mug!) :)

7. Katie @ Produce on Parade says

Talk about a crazy spring we had, huh?? In the Palmer area it snowed like mad! Of course it all melted and now the green grass is starting to poke through! :)

Hi Katie! I’m so glad you found me! I’m not far from you (Wasilla). I don’t think we got as much snow as Palmer, but we got enough. Lol. Bring on summer!! :)

8. Nikki says

OMGG–Oh My Good Golly!!! These are super tasty…just took them out of the oven. Thanks for the great recipe.

9. Theresa says

Hi Megan-
    Thought you’d like to know- I just placed these muffins in my oven in Johannesburg , South Africa! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe- I have been searching for a suitable recipe that is not too dry and this one is perfect!! (I particularly like the fact that it has only a small quantity of the pineapple flour… My previous attempts with more of this flour have not been successfull) The weather in Johannesburg today is a bit chilly (it IS winter) but our chilly is nowhere near your chilly! note- I’m going to hunt down some sugar free apple sauce – unfortunately the one made with sugar was all I could find-

10. Julie says

I just made these and they turned out fantastic! Followed the directions and ingredients except I didn’t have apple sauce so I grated a 3/4 cup of fresh apple with skin. Thank you for the recipe! I have been missing breads and these muffins have satisfied me completely.

11. Christine says

I had some organic carrots left over in the fridge and did not know what I was going to do with them, it was not an option to throw them into the trash, so I went to the web just to look for recipes and I came across yours. I grated those carrots and ended up with 8 cups so I took and used my foodsaver to vacuum seal 4 bags, 2 cups each and placed them in the freezer, I love the smell of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in the fall, it just makes the home smell so good and what makes it even better I already have all the ingredients in my cabinets so I can’t wait to make these, thanks for a great recipe!!!!

I baked these babies twice and they were DEEEEEELISH. Two questions,
    1. The applesauce you call for – should it be sweetend or unsweetened? I’m following this recipe for making my own applesauce http://www.paleocupboard.com/applesauce.html
    2. Are the muffins supposed to be oily on the outside? I love that they are super moist from the inside.
    Thanks a lot again for sharing this recipe – these are my favorite for sure!

Hi Aisha,
      I’m so happy you enjoyed them! :)
      1. Unsweetened applesauce! Thank you so much for catching that and sorry I wasn’t clear (I’ll go back and update my directions).
      2. They will be a little oily on the outside, but shouldn’t be overwhelmingly so. Almond flour baked goods tend to be a little bit more on the oily side – this is because of the natural oils found in the almond itself.
      Thank you so much, and you’re VERY welcome!

13. Jess says

Hi Megan! I stumbled on this recipe while searching for a healthy paleo muffin recipe, and I’m so glad I found it and your blog! I’m currently eating a mostly paleo diet as part of my journey to heal my gut and recover from chronic fatigue. I’m always very interested to hear other people’s stories of regaining their health through dietary changes and I’m so happy to read how diet has helped you.

Anyway, I made these muffins last night and they were fantastic! I look forward to trying more of your grain-free recipes!

14. mart says

Do you think I could substitute pumpkin or banana for the applesauce? Or do you have other suggestions for skipping the applesauce? My house can’t have apples, due to FructMal. Thanks – I would love to make these.

15. Mercedes says

Do you think this recipe would work if the almond flour is replaced? We also deal with nut allergies :(
    If so, which GF flour(s) would you recommend to substitute it with? We are ok with coconut
    Thank you!

Hi Mercedes,
      I wouldn’t recommend replacing the almond flour in this recipe. Almond flour acts much differently than a typical gluten free flour. It’s very high in fat, so there would be other compensations you’d have to make to convert this recipe to almond flour-free. I think you’d be better off finding another recipe already written as gluten-free (not grain free). ;( Sorry!!

16. Donna says

The weather here is insane just sitting out tropical cyclone “ita” in Cairns, Queensland Australia.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Donna

17. Helen says

I made these yesterday and they were delicious! Came out just like the picture, and even my 8 1/2 year old daughter loved them! My husband ate 2 for dessert. Its a great recipe that actually works and looks like your picture! Many Thanks!!!

18. Jennifer says

I’m still very new to Gluten Free and this recipe looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it.
    Right now I’m staying off of all sugars, including Honey. If I substituted the honey with Stevia, how much would I need to use?
    Thanks,
    Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
      I don’t recommend making these without the honey. Honey not only helps bind the ingredients together, but it provides moisture. Removing it from the recipe would result in very dry, nearly non-edible muffins. :( If you need sugar free, I recommend you look specifically for recipes written using stevia. You might try my friend, Ricki Heller’s, website. She has several recipes using stevia.
      Good luck!

19. Marykay says

I know this is an older recipe but I just found it via Pinterest. I made these last week for Easter and they were a hit even with the relatives who usually eat regular carrot cake. The kids enjoyed them so much we are making a double batch tonight and plan to freeze some to have on hand later. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

1. […] 25. Delicious Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins If you’re a fan of carrot cake you’ll no doubt become a fan of these carrot cake muffins. Perhaps you thought you’d eaten your last carrot cake, due to so many of the ingredients being off limits. But these muffins manage to bring you the taste you’re looking for without including anything that will throw you off track of eating Paleo. They’re using the classic mixture of almond flour and coconut flour together to get the muffin part right, and they have plenty of carrots, nutmeg, cinnamon, and more to get the carrot cake part right. They might not have the thick layer of cream cheese frosting, but they’re definitely Paleo. […]