Quick & Healthy Meal in Under 30 – Sausage & Veggies

This is one of those quick and easy meals I keep in my back pocket when I’m short on time. It’s healthy, hearty, kid-approved, and excellent for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

DSC_0352 (Medium)

Quick & Healthy Meal in Under 30 – Sausage & Veggies:
Yields 3 adult sized servings, or 2 adult & 2 kid-sized servings

12 ounces nitrate free chicken or beef sausages, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil, coconut oil, or ghee
1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed & cut into 1 inch pieces
6 ounces sweet mini peppers, sliced
1/2 cup sliced onion
sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

1. In a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausages until they start to brown and are heated through. Place the sausages on a plate and cover with foil.
  2. In the same skillet, warm the desired fat and then add the asparagus, mini peppers, and onion. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and cook until the veggies start to soften, but are still crisp. This should take no more than 4-6 minutes.
  3. Place the sausages back in the pan with the veggies and toss to combine. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Megan’s Recipe Notes:
If asparagus isn’t affordable or available, you can substitute 3-4 cups of frozen green beans. This is a really versatile dish. Don’t be afraid to bulk it up with more veggies to serve more people.

xoxo,

This recipe is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday and Fat Tuesday.

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook96Share on Google+7Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn2Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest200Tweet about this on Twitter8

Comments

1. Shirley @ gfe & All Gluten-Free Desserts says

That looks like an awesome meal, Megan! Love how colorful it is, too! :-)

2. Natosha Zachary says

Thanks for the recipe! We love sausage and veggies and I love a healthy meal that is ready in under 30 minutes.

3. Jessica says

Hello! Do you happen to have any brand recommendations for pork or beef sausages like this? It looks delicious!

Hi Jessica,
      I use the Hormel Naturals brand, or Aidells Chicken Apple Sausages (just be careful with Aidells, because a few of their flavors are NOT gluten free).

4. Kate @ Eat, Recycle, Repeat says

What a beautiful platter! And so simple and tasty-looking too. I think it is so important to have these types of recipes so we’re always eating well even with limited resources, like time!

5. Amber says

Beautiful! Love the colors here, Meg. And I love easy recipes like this. You always know how to inspired me lady! :-)

6. Miz Helen says

Megan,
    I really like the addition of the mini peppers to this flavorful recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

7. Tiffany says

I’ve had keilbasa sausages in my freezer forever now that I didn’t know what to do with. Now they’re all gone. I’ve made a variation of this 3 times in two weeks. Always a hit and I can add as many vegetables as I like to bulk it up. We honestly can’t make enough for the two of us. So healthy! Thanks for being inspired and sharing this with us!

8. Amanda says

This looks fantastic! I love the versatility of it. I’m adding this to my shopping list today and will be making it in the next couple of days as it appears here. I cant wait! Thanks for all the delicious recipes. :D