The better way to cook quinoa

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook99Share on Google+1Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest142Tweet about this on Twitter4

photo source

For the longest time I had a really hard time eating quinoa.  The smell of it would bother me and the taste of it would make me nauseous, if not sick.

The suggested way to cook quinoa, is to rinse it, then cook it like you would rice: simmer quinoa in water until it absorbs all the water; fluff with fork.

Have you seen the water once quinoa has simmered for a while?  It looks like pee (sorry, but it does) and smells awful (at least to me, anyways), if not rancid.

My sister in law, Rochelle, finally suggested I cook my organic quinoa like a noodle, instead of rice.

Ahh… yes.  Why didn’t I think of that?

The better way to cook quinoa:
Boil half a cup to a cup of quinoa in a generous amount of water (4 to 6 cups) until it is done, about 12 minutes.  Strain the water, rinse the cooked quinoa, and enjoy.

This post is linked to TGIQ.

:)  Megan

Comments

1. Lisa Rogers says

I also cook it in a combo of broth and water with herbs and a touch of butter. I use about 1/4 cup more liquid than the 1:2 ratio. It makes a huge difference cooking it this way. Very yummy. Sometimes I'll use a little Turmeric that has been sauteed with a green or onion or leeks with it. It is very versatile. Many ways to cook it. I like it though. Hadn't noticed a smell before.

2. Tori says

Just curious- if you have ever heard that quinoa is a cross-reactive with gluten? The same goes with rice… I can’t seem to stomach either option and was curious on your view on it? Thanks!

3. Heather Chupp says

Yes……unfortunately many of the gluten free grains can have a cross-reactive issue. Cyrex Labs has a test that can check for those – it’s kind of pricey though! The cheapest test is to eliminate the suspecting food and reintroduce after 7-10 days……good luck!

4. Margaret says

I know this post is several months old but I wanted to say thanks. The smell of quinoa has always been a complete turn-off for me and I’m surprised that I seem to be in the minority with this. I have not been able to cook it and enjoy it before, but I’ll definitely try making it this way!

5. Trippen says

I only buy pre-washed Organic Quinoa, because it has less debris than others. The Archer Farms brand from Target had SAND in it! Before I cook the Quinoa though, I roast it in a little olive oil, it deepens the flavor and gives a nutty aroma. Also to enhance the flavor, I boil the Quinoa for 20 minutes in organic broth. My favorite seasoning to add is garlic powder, Yum!

6. Misty says

We cook quinoa in kindergarten weekly and we’ve only ever used a rice cooker to make it…it always turns out really good. I believe we do add extra water though so it’s not too dry. This sounds like a great way to try it too!

7. Sally says

Try looking for a whole grain that is washed and not polished.
    Polished quinoa is terrible.
    You can tell if it’s whole by the fiber count. it should be 6-7 gms per serving
    Polished is 3-4
    Whole grain quinoa that is washed smells like fresh baby corn when it is cooking and tastes that way too! eat it hot with lots of butter and salt. Delicious!!!
    I have had bad smelling quinoa and it tastes as bad as it smells!!

8. Debra says

HiI love your site, but dose anyone else have trouble reading it with the writing on the black backfgound? it really really hard for us older people