Melt-in-your-mouth Valentine’s Day Brownies!

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook159Share on Google+0Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest42Tweet about this on Twitter5
The only thing missing is the non-dairy vanilla ice cream and 2 spoons!!

The perfect texture… slightly gooey, a little cake like, and a bit of a crunchy top layer.  Don’t be afraid to add chopped pecans, walnuts, or even Enjoy Life GF/DF chocolate chips to the mixture!

Happy Valentine’s Day!!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F).

In a heavy duty mixing bowl, cream together:

1 cup olive oil
1 1/4 cups organic cane sugar
1 1/4 cups organic brown sugar

Add:
1 TBSP vanilla extract
4 eggs

Mix.

Then Add:
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp guar gum
1 cup cocoa

Mix some more!

Now it’s time to add your flours; add:

1/2 cup finely ground brown rice flour (Authentic Foods Brand)
1/2 cup finely ground sorghum flour (Authentic Foods Brand)
1/2 cup tapioca starch

Bake in a greased 9 x 13″ pan for 35 to 40 minutes.

Comments

1. Stephanie says

I am new to all this. Can I use 1 cup brown rice flour? I don’t have any other kind of flour yet. What is the difference? Is Guar gum a thickening agent and if so can arrowroot, tapioca, or cornstarch be a substitute for it? I’m GF and Dairy Free. Thanks for the hand holding!Stephanie

• says

Hi Stephanie,
      Yes, you are okay to substitute rice flour for the sorghum flour in this recipe. In other recipes I like using a blend of flours, but in this recipe (because of the sugar and the cocoa), you’d be okay to only use one. Guar gum and xanthan gum are used in gluten-free cooking to bind, thicken and emulsify gluten-free ingredients. Arrowroot/tapioca/corn starch cannot replace it. In some recipes you can get away with using chia or flax seeds to help bind, but I haven’t tried it with this recipe.
      :) Anytime!

2. sara (rohrer) sowers says

Megan, one more question! For this recipe, my little friend can’t have the brown rice, so what can I sub since you are already using two different flours?

3. Beth in TX says

My son can’t have eggs either. Lots of pre-packaged brownie mixes say “don’t use egg replacer”. Do you have any thoughts on whether this would apply to your recipe too? I realize that since this isn’t your challenge, you may have no knowledge but I thought I’d ask. ;-)

Hi Beth,
      This recipe definitely won’t work with egg replacer (I’m sorry!). The eggs are the backbone of the recipe, without them it just won’t work. Egg replacer works best when it’s used to replace no more than 2 eggs in a recipe. This recipe has 4, so replacing them would be very tricky. Unfortunately, you are better off finding a vegan brownie recipe that’s already written as egg free.
      Best wishes,

4. Brandi says

BEST CLEAN BROWNIE RECIPE! Unfortunately we do not have organic cane and brown sugars, so what I did use was the remaining of our Raw cane sugar (equaled about 3/4cup) then made up for the rest of the sugar with palm sugar. I had regular dark brown sugar, so that was basically covered. Truvia just came out with a brown sugar and I am anxious to try it in place of regular brown sugar! But I am curious…can you use coconut oil instead of olive oil?
    Thanks again for creating this recipe! We live your site!

Hi Brandi,
      Yes, you should be able to sub melted coconut oil for the olive oil. ;)

Thanks for the sweet note – it makes me very happy to hear you enjoyed the brownies and find my site helpful!