No Bake Granola Crispy Treat Bars

This recipe may look a little familiar to some of you. It’s basically a made-over version of my Gluten and Sugar Free Granola Bars recipe.  That recipe was/is good, but it was my first recipe I posted on my blog and it needed a few changes to make them a bit more kid-friendly.  Not only that, but my culinary “skills” (if you can call them that.. ha ha!) have improved over the last year.  I feel like I have a better idea of what works and what doesn’t.  It’s been a fun journey… one that’s definitely not finished!

I am excited this month’s SOS Kitchen Challenge ingredient is coconut oil.  I use coconut oil in just about everything.

In a large mixing bowl, combine:

1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats (I use GF certified Bob’s Redmill)
1 1/2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
2 TBSP ground flax meal
1/3 cup organic raisins
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup finely shredded coconut (unsweetened)
pinch of sea salt

In a small saucepan over low heat, stir together the following ingredients until just blended (Stir continuously and don’t walk away from your saucepan! Pull it off the heat immediately once blended.):

1/2 cup honey (agave, or brown rice syrup for vegan)
1/2 cup almond butter (or sunbutter)
1 TBSP coconut oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Carefully pour the contents of the saucepan into the dry ingredients and combine.

Place in a lightly greased (I use a bit of coconut oil) 11″ x 7″ pan.  Using a spatula, press the mixture into the pan.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Freeze for at least 2 hours before enjoying (if you can stand it!).  Store in an air tight container in the freezer.

This recipe has been tested and approved by two goofy girls – ages 2 & 5.  :)

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook16Share on Google+0Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest79Tweet about this on Twitter4

Comments

These sound spectacular! And virtually every ingredient here is good for you, yet together they make an awesome sweet treat. Thanks so much for submitting this to the SOS Challenge this month! :)

2. Maralee says

I am so excited to try these again! I've made the "original" granola bars, and have been wanting to make them again. Now I'll try this recipe! Thanks Megan :)

3. Misty says

I made these tonight. I hope they are at least half as good as yours! The girls have been raving about them ever since they left your house :)

4. Misty says

Yeah! They loved them…they said they were as good as yours :) And what a great, healthy snack to send with them to school for snack or lunch!

i just found your blog today and i am LOVING it! i can’t tell you how many recipes i just pinned (on pinterest) from here. there are so many great ones! :)

Hello lovely Maid in AK! I am new to your page, was turned onto your site by my friend Christine . . . I was about to make these with my kiddo and realized that I have a quick question! It’s nothing major & won’t hold us up to not get an immediate answer. Saw your response that freezing or keeping them cold helps hold them together . . . as in, while the are setting up or should the be stored in the fridge? Thanks for sharing all your great recipes !!!
    ~ Kelly ~

• says

Hi Kelly!
      I prefer storing these in the freezer vs. the fridge. They fall apart easily when they are at room temperature, so the colder the better!

A big thanks to your friend Christine for sending you my way! Let me know how you and your kiddo like the bars! :) Megan

Megan, picky toddler is still deciding whether or not he’s going to taste them, but the hubby got some in his lunchbox today – he just texted and said they were awesome! I guess it helps that he leaves his lunch in the car until break, so today they definitely stayed frozen lol! Thanks for quick response yesterday – we are going to try the toddler bites later today ;) Stay cozy!

~Kelly~

Oh! I gave you a shout out on facebook, but for some reason it didn’t highlight your name :( just wanted to let you know I gave credit where credit is due ;)

I printed this recipe out and took it to the store with me sometime ago and have been meaning to tell you how much my boys love these! I have lost track of how many times I’ve made them. The perfect after school snack for hungry boys! Thanks, Megan!