Dairy Free Homemade Eggnog

Before I started the anti-inflammatory diet, I made one heck of a homemade eggnog.  My family loved it, so it became tradition for us to have it around every holiday.

Since giving up dairy meant giving up my favorite eggnog, I decided it was time to come up with a new dairy free recipe.

This dairy free version isn’t as thick as a dairy eggnog containing cream or half and half, but the taste is spot on and it’s definitely a LOT less calories!  I hope you enjoy it  and that it becomes a family favorite around your house too!

Dairy Free Homemade Eggnog

4 cups Original Flavor So Delicious Coconut Milk, divided
3 whole cloves
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
6 egg yolks
6 – 8 tablespoons palm sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (or more if you are a nutmeg fan)
3/4 cup light rum, optional

1. In a medium saucepan over low heat, slowly bring 2 cups of coconut milk, 3 cloves, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and the cinnamon to a boil.  Remove from heat.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks and palm sugar; whisk until light and fluffy.
  3. Slowly, little by little, whisk the hot saucepan contents into the yolk and sugar mixture. (If you pour the hot contents into the yolk mixture too quickly, you will scramble the eggs, so be careful)
  4. Return contents to your saucepan and heat on the lowest temperature (make sure it’s at the lowest temp, otherwise it will curdle), stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for at least an hour.
  5. Whisk in the remaining 2 cups of coconut milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, nutmeg, and rum. Chill in the refrigerator overnight before enjoying.

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook145Share on Google+2Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Pin on Pinterest55Tweet about this on Twitter3

Comments

1. Jodi says

Hey…do I get to enter? I have joined your fb page and voted for you (mom voted too). :D I am thankful for you. Miss you.

2. Lynda says

What I’m thankful* for this year is easy! Last year I was in the hospital for thanksgiving :-( recovering from emergency surgery NOT FUN! However, the kitchen did scout out some GF stuffing for me.

I have been voting daily, and am already a facebook follower.
    *one of the them anyway.

totally leaving a comment :) this year I am thankful that I finally have answers to at least some (most) of my health problems now that I know that I have issues with gluten. I am also very thankful that I’ve found such a great GF community here in Alaska, even though it can be darn hard to find things some times.. I have voted for you a few times already and will continue to do so :) and, of course, follow you on facebook.

Do you think this would work with canned coconut milk? I can’t have the So Delicious Coconut Milk as it has carrageenan :( BTW I liked your facebook page!

I am thankful for the food allergy blogging community. I have found so many great people and recipes :)

I am thankful for your recipes especially the bread recipes. Never thought I’d enjoy a grilled moza and ham again but I do or cinnamon toast…you know the simple things.

I have been part of you fb page for quite awhile already and I voted for you this a.m. I definitely will be trying your eggnog recipe when I get a chance to get some coconut milk.

6. Bridget says

I am excited about trying the home made coconut eggnog – with or without the rum. I am wondering if it could be turned into a slush kind of dring -YUM. I ‘liked’ your page on FaceBook, in addition to this comment. Now for the good stuff – I am thankful for the shape of my life. I am moving toward a healthier and more balanced life every day. I appreciate my work, my family and my partner, Adam!

I’m thankful for talented gf/cf food bloggers like yourself who have made the transition to gf/cf eating so much easier for my family. I can’t wait to try this egg nog recipe!

8. Rachel G says

I’m so thankful for my husband and children, I feel fulfilled having them in my life and am blessed to stay at home with them during the day. I’m a facebook fan!

9. Stacy Phillips says

Megan, I am thankful for you and others like you that are sharing recipes for those of us just starting on our journey of allergy/anti-inflammatory eating. I found you in a time of need. Thanks. I voted for you today.

10. MishiRN says

I “liked you on FB! Im digging your blog…I will definitely be returning!:)
    Im thankful for a husband who is patient and understanding with all of my “try this recipe I tweaked,” “taste this new thing I found,” and “but spirulina’s good for you!” Also thankful for people like you who are helping us get the word out about food allergies, and that we don’t have to settle for mediocre food, and keeping food and the kitchen as the center of the home!

11. Laura Shepherd says

I have voted for you today! I also have LIKED your Facebook page. Now, what I’m thankful for?? The simple things that a lot of people may take for granted. My health. A roof over my head. My family and friends. I don’t need much more than those! Thank you for sponsoring this giveaway yourself. :)

Hi Megan!
    What a sweet, sweet photo. Such little cuties.
    I’m thankful for my beautiful family. They definitely make my life richer.

I have voted for you twice. Good luck!

13. Mari says

I’m thankful for the blogs that cater to those of us with allergies or who have made the decision to cut out processed foods that I believe are the root of many diseases. I like finding recipes and meal ideas, as well as ingredient substitutions.

14. Em says

I am thankful for family and friends. I have all my kids and grandkids around me this holiday season for the first time in more than six years!

15. Meg says

I am thankful for all the exciting changes happening in my life. I love following you on Facebook… Thanks for making the gluten free life brighter :)

16. Debbie says

Following you on FB & voting for you every day! Love eggnog,& having asthma & food allergies as an adult isn’t fun either. Thank you thank you thank you for your help!

I did all the requirements but I mostly wanted to say that I am thankful for my son who has multiple allergies. 6 years ago I would never have thought about bringing cupcakes to school and asking is there anyone with food allergies. I am so ashamed that my older kids got to eat all the goodies I brought while there was probally a kid in the corner going without. I thank you for your tidbits, funnies, and just simple help in our journey. We are gluten/dairy/soy free. Blessings! Theresa

I did #1&2.

I am SO THANKFUL that I figured out what allergies were destroying my body. It has allowed me to live a full life again by avoiding them. I am thankful to my friends and family that have supported me through my hard times, and I am thankful that I can now invest my own time helping others with an amine allergy with my own blog. It has made my life all that much more satisfying. For these things, I am forever grateful.

19. Tracy says

Tried the egg nog-it was a nice substitute. You have given me the inspiration to do more substitutions and for that I am thankful!

20. Richelle says

I am thankful for the opportunity to create good health for my family and I’m thankful to you for making it easier for me to do so :)

Also, I follow you on Facebook!

21. Paula Ayojiak says

I am a fan on fB. I voted for you! And I am sooo thankful for my wonderful family and my amazing friends (that are basically like family)! I feel so blessed that God put these people in my life and I really need them!

Paula (at) ayojiak (dot) com

22. Mari says

I voted 11-15.

Can you drink goat’s or sheep’s milk? I make egg nog, but use goat’s milk. Some people do not like the taste, but I have gotten used to it.

Thank you for all your allergy free ideas! I have shared them with so many friends! I wish I could have eggs so I can have eggnog. I am sure it is amazing!