Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (egg, refined sugar, xanthan/guar gum free)

Thank you for sharing! Share on Facebook140Share on Google+0Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon1Pin on Pinterest247Tweet about this on Twitter6

I know… it’s been a while since I’ve posted a recipe!!  Sorry!  We’ve been busy working on the house and enjoying what’s left of summer.  Leaves are already starting to turn colors here in Alaska; fall is quickly approaching!

These cookies are a perfect healthy treat for lunch boxes!

Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (egg, refined sugar, xanthan/guar gum free)
Yields about 24 cookies

1/3 cup coconut oil, at room temperature
1/4 cup apple sauce
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2  tsp ground chia seeds
1/2 cup honey or coconut nectar, brown rice syrup, agave nectar
1 1/2 cups GF old fashioned oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup flax meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
  2. Combine coconut oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and chia seeds.  Set aside to sit for at least 10 minutes.
  3. Using a food processor (or a high speed blender), grind the rolled oats for 10 to 12 seconds.  The goal is to break the oats up a bit, but be careful you do not process the oats into flour.
  4. Combine oats and all other remaining dry ingredients.  Beat in the honey and the chia seed mixture.  Stir in the raisins.
  5. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonful’s on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Carefully pat down the tops of the cookie dough so they are about half an inch thick.  Bake until the cookies are a light golden brown, about 10 – 12 minutes.  When the cookies are done baking DO NOT remove them from the baking sheet.  Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet; they will be very soft and crumbly right out of the oven and need time to set up.

This recipe is linked to Simple Lives Thursday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Wellness Weekend, Freaky Friday, and the Gluten-Free Homemaker.

Comments

1. Megan says

Thanks, Ashley!! I'm attempting to ignore fall too, but with the falling leaves all over our yard it's certainly hard. Hope you guys are doing well… miss ya! xo

2. sara (rohrer) sowers says

is there something I can sub for the brown rice flour? I have a little friend (age 5) who is allergic, or shouldn’t eat, about everything you can imagine! i’m trying to help his mom find a cookie recipe…. this one looks like it will work except for the rice flour! Thanks Megan! :)

3. angie d says

i just found your site today and i love it!! these cookies look so good but i cant have any sugar (i use stevia) so is there anything i can substitute for the honey? thanks!

• says

Hi Angie,
      Thank you! Because there are no eggs in this recipe, the honey is acting as a binder (it also keeps the cookies moist). If you were to try to substitute something, maybe 2 bananas would work?? I can’t say for certain though since I’ve never tried it. If you do try it, please come back and let us know how it turned out!
      Hugs, Megan

4. Angie Lockard says

Hi Megan!
    I think these might be my favorite cookies ever! Except that I don’t like cooked raisins in things, so I substituted some chopped dried figs. They are super yummy – thank you so much for the awesome recipe!! (My mother-in-law thanks you as well…she would have eaten our whole batch if she didn’t have a conscience!) :)

5. Barbara says

Hi Megan
    This recipe sounds awesome as I love did love oatmeal cookies. Is ther something else I can use instead of Millet flour as all those flours bother me.
    Thanks
    Barbara

6. Gwen says

I made the cookies and they were good, but even after cooling for hours they still were falling apart, what did I do wrong?

Hi Gwen,
      I haven’t made this recipe in a long time… it’s an older one. You honestly may have done nothing wrong. When I look at the recipe now, my first inclination is to add more ground chia seeds (like maybe 1 tablespoon) to help things bind together more. I can’t have oats at all now. :( I make things for my girls that have them in them (like granola bars), but I really miss oats! I hope upping the ground chia seed amount helps – please let me know how they turn out if you end up trying them again! ;)

• GwenH says

Thanks Megan, sorry to hear that you can’t have oats anymore, so far I am doing alright with them and hopefully that doesn’t change, I love oatmeal porridge.
        If I do get around to making them again I will try adding more chia seed. I have so many recipes that I want to try, but I really don’t need all of them… lol

• Crystal says

I tried these cookies with your 1 tbsp chia seed recommendation and using chocolate chips instead of the raisins and I added 1/2 cup chopped fresh cranberries. They were great, they held together really well, even hot off the pan! And they stayed super soft and fresh tasting!

Thanks!